Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h - Screeching / scraping sound from PS rear when reversing

This started happening to me about a week or 2 ago, noticeable when I'm reversing into the parking bay in my apartment building. To be clear, I'm talking about the high pitched sounds, not the lower groaning sounds that happen when turning the wheel at a standstill with the brakes applied (which I'm told is normal(?). It seems to happen more when turning rather than in a straight line. Sound appears to be coming from the back-left wheel area.

Here's a video (windows down in order to hear it properly)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tsfbk4zMn-sxIMmNIJchB1E9hkJBa7Ng/view?usp=sharing

I did see this other thread: 

... but this is the opposite of this problem. Mine happens when the brakes are off, not on. And in reverse only.

Anyone else encountered this before?

35 minutes ago, wookee said:

This started happening to me about a week or 2 ago, noticeable when I'm reversing into the parking bay in my apartment building. To be clear, I'm talking about the high pitched sounds, not the lower groaning sounds that happen when turning the wheel at a standstill with the brakes applied (which I'm told is normal(?). It seems to happen more when turning rather than in a straight line. Sound appears to be coming from the back-left wheel area.

Here's a video (windows down in order to hear it properly)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tsfbk4zMn-sxIMmNIJchB1E9hkJBa7Ng/view?usp=sharing

I did see this other thread: 

... but this is the opposite of this problem. Mine happens when the brakes are off, not on. And in reverse only.

Anyone else encountered this before?

I had this Will on my Jag a few years ago turned out to gravel stuck in the brake discs 

It sounds like a train on a tight radius curve!

Certainly sounds like metal to metal contact, I assume the brake pads are all good and not worn down to the backplates?

If possible get the rear wheels off the ground and turn them by hand to see if the noise appears.

I would certainly get it looked at asap.

I assume the brake pads are all good and not worn down to the backplates?

Sorry, I should've mentioned this. The car was serviced at Lexus Croydon about a month ago, and they reported 6mm pad left all around (I did wonder if it was simply the wear indicator impacting). So I think we can rule this out.

It sounds like a train on a tight radius curve!

Yeah exactly - reminds me of the Northern line trains pulling in to the station at Bank!

I would certainly get it looked at asap.

I have already emailed Lexus Croydon about this and several other issues. Waited 5 days for a reply, and then they completed skipped over this issue entire. Honestly, getting a bit fed up with them. What's the point in the extended warranty if they just wriggle out of everything.

I'm going to get the wheel off and see if it's something simply like trapped gravel (which seems unlikely, since it only happens in reverse).

I am planning to do a full brake job and caliper refurb at some point in the near future, but just want to squeeze a bit more life out of the current pads if possible.

Thanks all 🙏

15 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

The rear parking brake pads have been known to cause issues like this. Worth checking?

👍  That's a good shout

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links