Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes

Lexiguy

I am about to upgrade and service my front brakes with new discs, pads and strip down, including refurbish and painting of the calipers.

I therefore need to remove the clamp and remove the front flexihose and thought it would be good practice to replace the copper washers.

I have just rung Lexus Leeds and was quoted £8.95 + vat for each copper washer that's a total of £42.96!!!!

Am I out of touch with prices?

Hi Anthony I did my fronts last year, now as I think you might know iam a bit reluctant to recommend products these days! But I used a company called brakes International  who have all parts discs pads calipers goo and washers clips pistons and  everything  else, there own brands are Bremtech, your washers are 29p each but if you order other  stuff they are free!

Give them a ring on 01706 666999 and tell them exactly what you are doing and advice costs nothing, do not neccesarilly go for upgraded brakes as they need to be hot before they perform properly, hope this helps

Stewart LH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stewart

I have used brakes International and including postage it was less than a fiver for washers (Size is 10mm) for front and rear!

Shame on you Lexus charging your customers over £40!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Thanks Stewart

I have used brakes International and including postage it was less than a fiver for washers (Size is 10mm) for front and rear!

Shame on you Lexus charging your customers over £40

Get 4 x2p coins drill 10mm  holes in them you have 4 copper washers for 8p😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Localhero said:

Get 4 x2p coins drill 10mm  holes in them you have 4 copper washers for 8p😀

Great idea Stewart but in 1992 due to the price of copper they became copper plated!

42 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

They are of course 24ct gold plated from Lexus 😀

They should be gold plated at that price! I asked him again because I thought he had got the wrong part or he was joking with me!!

Lexus UK pricing is terrible, 5 Ltr Type IV transmission fluid for example UK £65.00 USA (equivalent amount in quarts) $30.00.

I remember having to replace the front UCA on my 1994 model, Lexus UK £521.00......same from Japparts £160.00 shipped.

Some of us have even purchased parts from US dealers while over there and Amayama sell genuine Lexus parts from Japan or the UAE still cheaper than UK prices even with shipping and VAT added on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all excited because tomorrow is the day I replace discs and pads with a full caliper refurb and paint.

I am hoping I will then lose the annoying click from the front end when going slow downhill but starting to brake. 

It's unfortunate that car makers usually fit the inferior type of calipers even on their top models nowadays.  Pistons operated from one side only and dependent on sliding pins are not going to work as well as one or more pistons pushing directly against the disk from both sides, as fitted to high  perfomance or brake upgraded  cars.  I suppose it's a matter of cost saving.  Even my 1967 MK 2 Humber Sceptre had opposed pistons on it's front discs, so we seem to have gone backwards in this respect.

• Like 3

I am very impressed with your brakes👍I have painted mine a few times, but disappointed with results, I know how to remove calipers but a bit nervous about actually releasing brake pipes eeek! does this mean I will lose brake fluid and then have to top up and bleed brakes? also ideally it would be nice to fit braided pipes but again not something I fancy doing myself!! Many thanks and well done you 👍

PS sc430  stickers would be nice 🥲

Hi Stewart

Yes the rubber brake pipes need clamping off but this only stops brake fluid loss from the clamp down. You will need to top up, I used almost a litre but as the pistons were replaced which needs more fluid and they required bleeding twice before they were perfect!

I have heard negative comments about braided hoses so you need to investigate them fully first. Also if you replace these the vehicle will need the brakes bleeding all round.

This is no bad thing because you could do a brake fluid change at the same time. Which could improve performance if your current fluid has absorbed a quantity moisture.

I am going to do the rears on my car and I will definitely do a fluid flush an fluid change!

20211030_120021.thumb.jpg.435dfaef660281ad729316a40032bf2f.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been impressed with the upgrade on my front brake so much that I decided to do a full overhall of the rears.

Despite trying it would appear that there is no stock of these discs and pads out there, EBC are showing minus 2 in stock (how does that work?) and have said it could be a long time before they get any stock in. 

Please be aware that stock out there may currently be non existent for some items and it would pay to source parts early for any job you are intending to do!

20211030_100134.thumb.jpg.a1eac0e30252fa930b22b3784398b859.jpg20211030_185951.thumb.jpg.0c6c73fa1dde899678a3c1701be239d2.jpg

On 20/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, Lexiguy said:

I have been impressed with the upgrade on my front brake so much that I decided to do a full overhall of the rears.

Despite trying it would appear that there is no stock of these discs and pads out there, EBC are showing minus 2 in stock (how does that work?) and have said it could be a long time before they get any stock in. 

Please be aware that stock out there may currently be non existent for some items and it would pay to source parts early for any job you are intending to do!

20211030_100134.thumb.jpg.a1eac0e30252fa930b22b3784398b859.jpg20211030_185951.thumb.jpg.0c6c73fa1dde899678a3c1701be239d2.jpg

Europarts are advertising eibach pagid and brembo all in stock brembo £27-22 rears

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stewart but I am going to have to wait as I am wanting EBC to match the fronts. 

it was just to make others aware of the poor stock situation out there in customer land!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The parts listed below do not fit a SC430 so I presume they do not fit any other of the cars listed in the description.

The first hint that something was awry was when I used the eBay vehicle checker and it only listed manufacturers of motor bikes and so I emailed the company direct who confirmed my suspicions!

20220104_172540.thumb.jpg.ef6179c30cd6b07ef1b0fd4bcdc4e000.jpg

I used exactly that kit when I rebuilt the rear brakes on my pre-facelift car so they do fit some SCs. I don't think there's any variation across the years. 🤔

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links