Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

RX350 start up idle speed

I bought a 2007 RX350 recently. I not sure if it was the same when I bought it but after a couple of weeks, when starting from cold one morning, I noticed the engine speed was 2000 rpm and was slow to drop.

A local garage which I have used for many years, ran it through their computer and then stripped and cleaned the throttle body. They found no other faults but commented that their software might not be as comprehensive as a Lexus dealer's.

Cold start up idle is now 1700 - 1800 and it drops to 1200 - 1300 within 30 seconds and then on down. Once the engine is warm it idles happily at about 650rpm. 0nce warm, start up is about 900 and drops quickly.

Mileage is only 66k and the service history is complete.

I am new to this model and would be grateful to know if this is normal or if I should take it to a main agent to fix.  

All advice welcomed

2 hours ago, RichardG2 said:

I am new to this model and would be grateful to know if this is normal or if I should take it to a main agent to fix

It may be a Lexus but it's a straightforward petrol-engined car like many millions of others and any decent garage should be able to sort it out. I don't believe there is anything in there that is 'Lexus-specific' that would require a main dealer or even main dealer diagnostic software to fettle it.

If you have access to a Windows laptop, to put your mind at rest you could buy one of these miniVCI cables and run Techstream, which is the same diagnostic software as used in the main dealer workshops. The cable comes with a pirated copy of Techstream but it's a matter for your own conscience as to whether you use it or not.

The correct way would be to download it (free and legit) from here and then buy a block of time to use it (currently €5/day, €10/week). Either way, you'll need that cable anyway to allow the computer to talk to the car and vice versa.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links