Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New 220D owner. Amp & gearing question

Hey guys! Got my self an is220D a couple of days ago and the amp has gone already. I’ve read that it’s a common problem but what I haven’t managed to find anywhere is if it’s easily swappable with an aftermarket amp instead of getting the ML replacement? Any help or links to products I’d need would be greatly appreciated. 

Secondly, I didn’t realise just how weird the gearing is! Would anyone recommend a tuning box that’s sorted out any of the issues or is it better to get a proper remap? I’ve seen a few chip boxes on eBay £120ish and wondered if anyones ever tried anything from there? Thanks! 

Hi Sam and welcome to the LOC.

You are correct in thinking the ML amplifier is problematic but before condemning it check in the boot area where it is mounted (driver’s side) for any water ingress and sort that out with sealant and a hairdryer.

Secondly check the associated fuses for the amplifier supply, look for any fuses marked “Amp”

Lexus audio systems are complex resulting in many professionals cringing at the thought of working on them but there are android replacements which can be fitted although I have no experience with them. Hopefully other members will have some solutions.

The gearing issues again are well documented but there is some good news in that the ECU can now be remapped by several companies providing a much better driving experience with no turbo lag.

Finally regarding the comment above the IS220d engine does have a reputation for mechanic issues, some were even replaced or rebuilt under warranty. However with regular servicing and maintenance the majority have been OK.

As with any modern diesel with a DPF the occasional long run is required to allow regeneration and EGR valve needs regular attention

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links