Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Growl

Hi all

I had my car serviced about 3-4 weeks ago. I have no time to bring it in this week but I have noticed a slight growl from the engine. I have ensured I don't have the voiume up on that silly noise simulator. Normally the car is very quiet but now when I drive there is a continuous low growl and I have no idea what it is. I don't have any warning lights or anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is 110,000 miles on it now

On 11/16/2021 at 2:54 PM, Shields said:

Thank you, it was a minor service after clocking up 10,000 km

They shouldn't have touched the air filter then, but I guess they could have inspected it. Does the noise occur when the vehicle is running on electric only, i.e. the petrol engine isn't running?

1 hour ago, CypressPhil said:

Could be a wheel bearing on its way out? I had an RX with a constant low growl that got more noticeable at certain speeds. Turned out to be a bearing. 

Thanks that would make sence

On 11/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, ColinBarber said:

They shouldn't have touched the air filter then, but I guess they could have inspected it. Does the noise occur when the vehicle is running on electric only, i.e. the petrol engine isn't running?

Not necessarily no, thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 9:18 PM, CypressPhil said:

Could be a wheel bearing on its way out? I had an RX with a constant low growl that got more noticeable at certain speeds. Turned out to be a bearing. 

turns out you are spot on mate

I brought it in today and it was taken for a test drive. Every time we turned and put weight on the left side you could hear the noise.

they have quoted me €699/£595 to 'replace lhf wheel bearing', €420 of which is for 'HUB & BEARING' and I guess €195 to look at it and fix it. Seems quite steep.

I also have to change the waterpump which will cost €374/€318

Heres the thing, the girl I spoke with this evening said I could drive it when I asked but they don't have an appointment to fit it until early January (they have to order the part). I have to say I am nervous about driving it til then, I do 70kms each day for work. What do you think?

thank you

Plenty of independent garages about could do this job for a lot less. I had to replace both of mine within a year of each other.

The aftermarket bearing is £150 sterling each and took 30 minutes per side to fit.

Considering my first one failed at 4 years old and 40k I took my chance on the after market one with 2 years warranty.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, Shada said:

Plenty of independent garages about could do this job for a lot less. I had to replace both of mine within a year of each other.

The aftermarket bearing is £150 sterling each and took 30 minutes per side to fit.

Considering my first one failed at 4 years old and 40k I took my chance on the after market one with 2 years warranty.

Thanks for reply

surely not okay to be driving this car for the month while I’m waiting for this 

A grumbling wheel bearing might be ok. Depends how bad it is. Only way to tell is to jack the corner up and then feel for play in the wheel bearing by ricking the wheel by hand left to right and front to back. Wheel bearings tend to be noisy for quite some time before becoming unsafe. That said, my own experiences over 40 years of driving is that they get noisy when turning left or right before they are noisy all the time. I never took it to the latter, I always had them replaced sooner rather than later. This may not be of much use to you, sorry. 110k miles is a fair mileage and a noisy bearing is likely quite shot so it might be better to be cautious and get it replaced asap.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links