Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wandering Satnav

Hi, Just had my new UX250 for 12months. Been back to garage 7 times.  Satnav wanders off route, its moved my home address twice, arriving at one destination we were 8.5 miles away.Wanders off map while driving. Radio regularly fades away. Serious interference when braking or on hold. Automatic main beam dip frequency doesn't, therefore I get flashed. Still nothing sorted. Getting seriously cheesed off now. It's now been back to the garage more times than my previous car which I had fir 7 years. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

• Confused 1

Would you happen to have a Dash Cam ?, these can interfere with DAB radio, I intend fitting front and rear when I get my UX next month and hoping this is not an issue. I’m moving from BMW to Lexus and expecting service commensurate with it being a premium brand so its disappointing to hear you have unresolved issues. By the way my BMW auto beam is also a bit slow to react and I also get flashed from time to time, because of this I generally don’t use it. 

3 hours ago, Tel said:

Try Apple Car Play to resolve your Nav issues & manually re-tune your radio to a new Ensemble collection as DAB signals can easily be compromised.

Tel

I have used Google maps which is brilliant, but the point is that I'm paying for stuff which has never worked correctly and if their engineers can't sort it,it's a pretty poor show.

26 minutes ago, Peter Phillips said:

I have used Google maps which is brilliant, but the point is that I'm paying for stuff which has never worked correctly and if their engineers can't sort it,it's a pretty poor show.

The infotainment and navigation systems have long been the Achilles Heel of Lexus and are quite abysmal.

However, given that you have a 2021 car you can get the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay upgrade done at the dealers for about £80 if it isn't already available on your car.

I know where you're coming from and I feel your pain but the first Lexus I had was a 2005 RX300, then a 2013 RX450h and now a 2018 RX450h and I can say that they infotainment and nav is only marginally better in the latest when compared with the earliest. Not only that, AA/ACP is not, nor ever will be, available for my 2018 car, which is why I've just splashed out £500 for a Grom Vline 2 third-party solution.

7 hours ago, Peter Phillips said:

Hi, Just had my new UX250 for 12months. Been back to garage 7 times.  Satnav wanders off route, its moved my home address twice, arriving at one destination we were 8.5 miles away.Wanders off map while driving. Radio regularly fades away. Serious interference when braking or on hold. Automatic main beam dip frequency doesn't, therefore I get flashed. Still nothing sorted. Getting seriously cheesed off now. It's now been back to the garage more times than my previous car which I had fir 7 years. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Peter,

Doesn't sound great. I totally understand that the paid for features don't work and Android auto is not a substitute for those not working (even if Android auto itself is useful).  I have around 15 open bug reports with software on my RX and frankly i have been shocked... This is not the Lexus i have been used to in the past and there is little engagement in them actually fixing anything. Doesn't bode well as vehicles become more and more complex from a software perspective.

Which navigation software version are you running? What is known as MEU "running change 6" has just been released on the RX and I have just checked on Lexus Tech and it was released at the same time on the UX as well.  This is nav software version 1170.

The reason I ask is that 1170 will put a red forward slash in the bottom left of the nav screen if GPS lock is lost.  This may be useful to prove to the dealer that GPS reception is inadequate.  1170 is (astonishingly) the first version of the MM19 system that includes this feature (even though it has been there for years on earlier systems).

i would have thought there would be a received signal strength or SNR indication for DAB in the service menu on the infotainment system.  Perhaps specifically ask the dealer if this can be used for diagnostics.  They should be able to compare RSS on your car for another one at the dealer.

I cannot comment on the auto high beam. This is one feature that is a lot better on my 2021 car than it was on my 2015 car and it works well for me.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Paul

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

The infotainment and navigation systems have long been the Achilles Heel of Lexus and are quite abysmal.

However, given that you have a 2021 car you can get the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay upgrade done at the dealers for about £80 if it isn't already available on your car.

I know where you're coming from and I feel your pain but the first Lexus I had was a 2005 RX300, then a 2013 RX450h and now a 2018 RX450h and I can say that they infotainment and nav is only marginally better in the latest when compared with the earliest. Not only that, AA/ACP is not, nor ever will be, available for my 2018 car, which is why I've just splashed out £500 for a Grom Vline 2 third-party solution.

Herbie - you are such a strong Android auto advocate that sometimes i think you would use your mobile phone's Battery to supplement the hybrid system if Android auto provided the feature 🙂

Have a good Christmas!  Looking forward to see how the Grom unit turns out...

Paul

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PDM said:

Herbie - you are such a strong Android auto advocate that sometimes i think you would use your mobile phone's battery to supplement the hybrid system if Android auto provided the feature 🙂

Have a good Christmas!  Looking forward to see how the Grom unit turns out...

Paul

I do tend to bang on about it a bit but like lots of other people, I'm just so disappointed with the OEM stuff. 

Android Auto does have its faults but it's a dream compared to the Lexus system and there's the added bonus that it does so much more too :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I do tend to bang on about it a bit but like lots of other people, I'm just so disappointed with the OEM stuff. 

Android Auto does have its faults but it's a dream compared to the Lexus system and there's the added bonus that it does so much more too :thumbsup:

You are right... My specific issue with the OEM system is we seem to have moved from systems that had basic functionality but at least worked as per the manual (MM15 for example in my old NX) to systems which are slightly less basic but do not work as they are supposed to and, frankly, are riddled with bugs (eg MM19 in my RX). Only today my RX was playing radio stations different to the ones i was selecting in the user interface (it's an offset error between what is indicated on the display and the station that actually plays, so I have to select the station 2 rows down from the one I want).  I have reported this months ago but the bug has still not been fixed. There is clearly very little software quality testing that happens.  It's very odd as it is a very different quality to the rest of the car and i would have thought the easiest to fix.

Paul

And all of the above is what worries me where the Relax warranty is concerned. 

I don't have any fear of the hybrid systems or mechanical parts, most of which are covered by the warranty. 

The infotainment systems seem to be excluded, and would seem to cost a fortune to sort out.

To this end, I won't be replacing my car with another Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links