Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare tyre ?

Good afternoon folks, hope you may be able to offer some guidance.

2 weeks ago I picked up a brand new UX Sport Premium and have to say I am extremely happy with it đź‘Ť

I am aware the car has run flat tyres fitted as standard and after speaking to Lexus there is no official space saver wheel offered.

I am happy with the runflats as a last resort but would be interested to hear if anyone else has a suitable spare tyre option they use before completely ruling it out.

Given that it's been designed to avoid having a spare tyre, does it not also lack a space to keep one in?

It might be a nice idea to have one, until you see how much space it takes up in the boot if there's nowhere else to store it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Given that it's been designed to avoid having a spare tyre, does it not also lack a space to keep one in?

It might be a nice idea to have one, until you see how much space it takes up in the boot if there's nowhere else to store it.

The AA and RAC carry universal wheels nowadays.

O.P. might be able to add breakdown cover to his household policy for a small fee.

• Like 1

Ive had cars with RFT’s for years and had a couple of nail related slow punctures, it could be worthwhile considering buying an aerosol gunge canister as some kind of re-assurance. Depending on what has caused the puncture its sometimes possible to get a repair done although this is not recommended if the tyre has ran seriously under inflated. Suppose the whole point is that having even a serious puncture is not technically a breakdown as it is still safe to drive at reduced speed for up to 50 miles. 

11 hours ago, Hamish2015 said:

Ive had cars with RFT’s for years and had a couple of nail related slow punctures, it could be worthwhile considering buying an aerosol gunge canister as some kind of re-assurance. Depending on what has caused the puncture its sometimes possible to get a repair done although this is not recommended if the tyre has ran seriously under inflated. Suppose the whole point is that having even a serious puncture is not technically a breakdown as it is still safe to drive at reduced speed for up to 50 miles. 

I`ve never known a gunge cannister to work James.

28 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve never known a gunge cannister to work James.

They work very well John, no problem at all unless it's a big puncture but for your average nail/screw-type punctures it's fine.

Before getting our first hybrid I'd run LPG for more than 17 years and the LPG tanks were always mounted in the spare wheel well, therefore no spare could be carried. The gunk got me out of the poo a couple of times.

There's a myth that the gunk somehow ruins something but that is just a myth, probably invented by lazy tyre fitters who don't want to get their hands dirty and spend the time cleaning it off.

33 minutes ago, Herbie said:

They work very well John, no problem at all unless it's a big puncture but for your average nail/screw-type punctures it's fine.

Before getting our first hybrid I'd run LPG for more than 17 years and the LPG tanks were always mounted in the spare wheel well, therefore no spare could be carried. The gunk got me out of the poo a couple of times.

There's a myth that the gunk somehow ruins something but that is just a myth, probably invented by lazy tyre fitters who don't want to get their hands dirty and spend the time cleaning it off.

Thanks very much Herbie.

I learnet 80% of what I know about Motoring from being a Student of the original Honest John (Peter Lorimer) and he could never get them to work.

You are the first person to put me right, amigo. Thanks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Atego1986 said:

I am aware the car has run flat tyres fitted as standard and after speaking to Lexus there is no official space saver wheel 

But does that mean that no SpaceSaver will fit?  How about one for another model?

My IS250 came with a SpaceSaver and it proved its worth when a valve was broken off by a helpful lad trying to remove a metal dust cap!  Which was useful as the aforementioned gunk would have been useless in such circumstances.

Or even one for another make?  My Honda Accord also had a SpaceSaver wheel.  I would have thought that as long as they have the same stud arrangement and offer a suitable size, then they can be interchanged.  After all, they are only designed for low speed, low mileage temporary use.

Perhaps the place to check it out is at a good tyre retailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I visited a Lexus dealer in Israel. The UX had a space saver under the boot cover. This was the entry level UX with the 17'' tyres. So the answer is yes, Lexus do have space saver, however is a different market.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links