Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is200 2004 Noise from front passenger side tyre area

Jarson

Hello, 

I have just bought my Lexus IS200 automatic from year 2004 a week ago. Its my first car so Im just starting to learn everything. 

So here is the problem, when im driving arround 30mph and up I can hear a very low pitched noise kinda like "whom whom whom whom" from left front wheel. If i go faster arround 60 it just makes the noise littlebit more often maybe 3 times per second. The steering wheel doesnt vibrate, the pedals dont vibrate if driving or braking, the steering wheel doesnt turn only tiny bit but i would assume thats normal if the road is not cometely flat and straight. 

There was bubble on the side of the old tyre and the tyre was worn on the outside so i swapped for brand new tyre and brand new rim. But the sound is the same. I was reading through all the topics i could find and people was writing about bearing but that sound from the videos was more like high pitched "vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" not my "whom whom whom whom". 

Also when im braking the brake squeaks only on that side but i have plenty left on the brake pad? 

I hope maybe someone can help me with this as I dont have much experience and I dont have much condifence in the wheel as the paranoia kicks in and i start worrying about the wheel coming off or something at higher speed 🙈

I will be thankfull for any advice from you

• Sad 1

Hi Jaroslav and welcome to the LOC.

On the IS I would start by rechecking the brakes as the callipers have tendency to “seize” up.

The type of brake callipers used are the sliding type and the pins tend to seize up due to lack of suitable lubrication resulting in poor performance, uneven pad wear ( did you check both pads?) and unwanted noises.

There are tutorials for DIY repairs.

Another thing to check is the shield behind the disc, they can get bent and rub on the disc so need pushing clear.

• Like 2

Probably not related, but I always change tyres in pairs ( or in fact all ).

It just makes sense to me - unless money is an issue.

• Like 1

Hi Steve thank you 😊

I have not checked the other side. 

I was sure it was the tyre making the noise so I did not look for anything else. The only thing i tried was spinning the tyre while it was in the air and it was spinning freely. 

On my day off from work i will try lift the car and look for the shield if its bent and also lift the other side and check how the brakes look on that side. 

I swapped just 1 wheel as I want to do the complet timing belt and water pump change so i need to bring it to garage. Also I want to attempt make full service by my self but it will be first time so we will see how it goes. My budget is not unlimited so I need to take it by steps... The other 3 tyres are on the list too 👍😁

If you're concerned about the tyre/wheel, then one thing you could try is to swap the two front wheels around and see if the noise stays on the left, or moves with the wheel. Only do this if the tyres aren't directional. If they are the tyre will have an arrow somewhere on the sidewall showing the direction of rotation, and if so then swap from front to rear (assuming same size front and back)..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

If you're concerned about the tyre/wheel, then one thing you could try is to swap the two front wheels around and see if the noise stays on the left, or moves with the wheel. Only do this if the tyres aren't directional. If they are the tyre will have an arrow somewhere on the sidewall showing the direction of rotation, and if so then swap from front to rear (assuming same size front and back)..

The tyre and the rim is brand new on that side now but didnt solve the issue but thanks 🙂

• Sad 1

Does the noise change at all when you turn left/right at high speed? Have you checked the wheel bearings after all? They can definetely make a low-pitched growling sound.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I took thw car to mechanic and he said it looks like i have a "lip" on the brake disc so I guess Ill need to change the discs and Ill get the bearings done too 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links