Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traction control and 196mi range UX 300e

Hi there, 

Happy new owner of a UX 300e. Two questions/annoyances though if anyone can help:

1) traction control: there is a button at the top right of the steering wheel where is says traction control off. I press the button but on the display it just says it is off and I can't seem to get it on when pressing the button once/twice. I have the takumi pack. Does the UX 300e not come with traction control? If so, why bother having that button to the top right of the steering wheel? Given the strong performance it would really help having this as the wheels keep skidding when I accelerate too much. 

2) Charge range: brochure says up to 196mi, but when I fully charge it only shows 165mi?? Why is that? Also, even when showing 165mi I never really get 165mi, it's more like 125mi and I don't think I drive aggressively. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, tmino said:

2) Charge range: brochure says up to 196mi, but when I fully charge it only shows 165mi?? Why is that? Also, even when showing 165mi I never really get 165mi, it's more like 125mi and I don't think I drive aggressively. 

I suppose it's basically like the petrol figures given for internal combustion engines. No car in the real world has ever achieved the official figures given in the sales blurb and it would appear to be the same for electric vehicles now.

As for actual, real-world range, there's just so many things that could affect it that I would imagine you could do the same journey every day and never get the same range.

1 hour ago, tmino said:

Hi there, 

Happy new owner of a UX 300e. Two questions/annoyances though if anyone can help:

1) traction control: there is a button at the top right of the steering wheel where is says traction control off. I press the button but on the display it just says it is off and I can't seem to get it on when pressing the button once/twice. I have the takumi pack. Does the UX 300e not come with traction control? If so, why bother having that button to the top right of the steering wheel? Given the strong performance it would really help having this as the wheels keep skidding when I accelerate too much. 

Thanks! 

The annoyances are of your own making.

Repeated wheel spin is a breach of your licence - the authorities regard that as aggressive driving without having proper control of the vehicle.

If your charge range is consistently much less than the manufacturer specs, your car is trying to tell you that you have a lead foot, that you have an aggressive driving style. The charge range is a prediction for today’s driving based on your recent driving. Don’t expect any better mileage until you ease off the throttle and drive smoothly...

Traction control is always on unless you press the button to turn it off, which is normally only to be used to allow a bit of wheel spin if stuck in mud/snow. Pressing the button should turn it on again. When it is off you have the warning symbol illuminated and the text message comes up as it is turned off. When you turn it back on the warning symbol will go out but I'm not sure you get a text message.

Range in the brochure is based on WLTP lab testing which Lexus must legally use. This is no where near real world range. If you only see 165 when charged then it sounds like Lexus are using a more realistic figure to base range on, but this too is still a guess. Actual driving style and conditions will mean the range shown isn't true, and at this time of year your range will be much lower because of the cabin heating, and if wet then an extra drag on the vehicle. Also range is only accurate for a long trip. Multiple short journeys will disproportionally use more Battery energy/range than you think.

Thanks ColinB, I guess the traction control still allows for a bit of skidding when you accelerate too much hence why I assumed it was off or not included. 

Your explanation about the reduced range makes sense as I mostly use the car for short trips (less than 10mi) in London stop & go traffic + cold & wet conditions. I also read that the larger 18" wheels make it worse. I now only drive with regenerative breaking set to max, hopefully it helps a bit. 

When I test-drive the UX300e compared to my own UX250h I found it very easy to spin up the front wheels, even under normal driving. Electric motors deliver 100% of their torque right from a standstill, and accelerating on damp tarmac out of a roundabout had them lighting up. The traction control will do its best, but it's a reactive rather than proactive system - it'll spot that the wheels have lost traction and will do their best to override your throttle inputs and bring things under control. Some manufacturers are better than others, and this is Lexus' first effort. That being said, in cold/wet weather even my 250h spins its wheels pulling out of junctions at moderate speeds. I seriously doubt any serving police officer would give me a hard time about that.

As for traction control itself, I think you have to press and hold the button to turn it off, but yes - by default, it's always on. And as for the range...that number is generated in ideal conditions on a warm day at low speeds with no traffic. It's artificial, and you'll never achieve it in the real world, never mind in cold weather when the batteries are far less efficient.

Nick

As @EvilRacer notes, cars respond to throttle input - what happens depends on the skill of the driver. Summer tyres will slip hitting ice or diesel on the road, but this is rare; you should not get spinning otherwise.

EV drive modes don't prevent anything; they each provide the full range of performance. Differences felt are due to different mappings of throttle travel, so in Eco the throttle feels less responsive because you have to push it further down to start with. But if you floor it, you will get max acceleration. Sport mode provides a much more sensitive reaction immediately, but requires an educated foot to gently feed power to the wheels. It's all about practice of the skill required, but anyone can do it...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links