Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX450h running costs

I was just playing with the online configurator and I found the trim level Sport premium edition quite tempting. One of the extras is wood and leather steering wheel. I have never had a car with this type of combination before. Is it comfortable and practical? How does it feel in cold or hot day? Long journeys? Sweaty palms of hands? Lol.

TIA 

8 hours ago, mitadoc said:

Thank you. Do you think this deposit allowance will be on the top of the Carwow discount or within?

Rgds and many thanks again.

Dimi

I've never been along to one of these events or even made an enquiry as a result of one. Worth a phone call perhaps? I imagine they'll be giving more allowance on RX than new NX. I imagine that will be reflected in future trade-in values, once it's replaced the RX will depreciate more quickly?

The PCP on my 2014 RX comes to an end soon. Knowing how desirable it would be as a trade-in it'd be very interesting to go and see what kind of deal I could get, but I'm keeping what I've got and getting out of car finance. I'm too near the end of my working life to commit myself to another 3-4 years, then having to pay it off or start over again.

If I was changing this time around I'd only be considering another RX, but that's because my budget only stretches to used cars. However, if I can manage it when it's time to pension off my current RX in 5-10 years' time then the NX450 will be of considerable interest to me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mitadoc said:

I was just playing with the online configurator and I found the trim level Sport premium edition quite tempting. One of the extras is wood and leather steering wheel. I have never had a car with this type of combination before. Is it comfortable and practical? How does it feel in cold or hot day? Long journeys? Sweaty palms of hands? Lol.

TIA 

I like the part leather, part wood wheel.  I think it's elegant.  The wood is not heated though - only the leather bits are.  However, even on the full leather wheel on the RX only the side bits are heated so no difference between the two steering wheel types as far as heating is concerned.  I find it comfortable.

Paul

• Thanks 1

Dimi, have you actually driven both the NX and RX? I had both cars as loaner when mine was in for service and although i did like both of them i found the RX to be in a league of its own. A totally different car and steps above the NX. The engine transforms it, more torque, power and above all that humming singing six cylinder. No need to floor the throttle when entering the highway or overtaking just waft along on a mountain of torque. I found the materials of the RX cabin also better, higher quality better finish, it is more comfortable, longer wheelbase.  For me the only downside on the RX could be the size, it really is a big car but i guess that will get used to quickly?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Dimi, have you actually driven both the NX and RX? I had both cars as loaner when mine was in for service and although i did like both of them i found the RX to be in a league of its own. A totally different car and steps above the NX. The engine transforms it, more torque, power and above all that humming singing six cylinder. No need to floor the throttle when entering the highway or overtaking just waft along on a mountain of torque. I found the materials of the RX cabin also better, higher quality better finish, it is more comfortable, longer wheelbase.  For me the only downside on the RX could be the size, it really is a big car but i guess that will get used to quickly?

@dutchie01 was that the new NX350h or 450h, or the previous model? I may be wrong, but I thought @mitadocwas comparing the current RX with the new NX.

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Just the new NX, I hope I will secure a test drive this Friday.

53 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

@dutchie01 was that the new NX350h or 450h, or the previous model? I may be wrong, but I thought @mitadocwas comparing the current RX with the new NX.

Exactly, the 2022 NX and the 2022 RX.

• Thanks 1

Just to help with a few points raised in this topic, I’ve just traded a late 2017 RX450h F Sport for a new NX450hF Sport. The RX has been, and still is, an excellent car. Extremely comfy and plenty of torque  but the wife has always found it a bit of a barge which it is, particularly when squeezing in to parking spaces etc.

We had an NX300 a few times as a courtesy car and no way would I have moved from the RX in to one of those, but the new NX is light and day different from the previous model. It does feel quite a bit smaller to me once inside, something which I no doubt will get used to, but other than that it was a delight to drive with quicker acceleration than the RX.

Yes there are big discounts to be had on a new RX if you take a car which is already in the network, which is what we did at the time of purchase back in 2017 to secure a decent discount.

Will that discount be nullified on trade in 3-4 years down the line, probably but we benefited from the current surge in demand for 2nd hand cars and hence pricing. By way of illustration, against the new NX450h which won’t be delivered until around June, our px value is guaranteed until the new car arrives and was £4K higher that we were offered in Feb 2020, representing 65% of initial purchase (not list) price. Happy with that along with the 3 years free servicing and £750 discount which we also secured, even allowing for residuals becoming more normalised in years to come.

As for running costs of the RX, it has been faultless since purchase and has returned an impressive 35.6mpg over that time, which is better than I was expecting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Just to help with a few points raised in this topic, I’ve just traded a late 2017 RX450h F Sport for a new NX450hF Sport. The RX has been, and still is, an excellent car. Extremely comfy and plenty of torque  but the wife has always found it a bit of a barge which it is, particularly when squeezing in to parking spaces etc.

We had an NX300 a few times as a courtesy car and no way would I have moved from the RX in to one of those, but the new NX is light and day different from the previous model. It does feel quite a bit smaller to me once inside, something which I no doubt will get used to, but other than that it was a delight to drive with quicker acceleration than the RX.

Yes there are big discounts to be had on a new RX if you take a car which is already in the network, which is what we did at the time of purchase back in 2017 to secure a decent discount.

Will that discount be nullified on trade in 3-4 years down the line, probably but we benefited from the current surge in demand for 2nd hand cars and hence pricing. By way of illustration, against the new NX450h which won’t be delivered until around June, our px value is guaranteed until the new car arrives and was £4K higher that we were offered in Feb 2020, representing 65% of initial purchase (not list) price. Happy with that along with the 3 years free servicing and £750 discount which we also secured, even allowing for residuals becoming more normalised in years to come.

As for running costs of the RX, it has been faultless since purchase and has returned an impressive 35.6mpg over that time, which is better than I was expecting.

Paul,

I drove a new NX450h+ last weekend.  The drive was excellent: quick and quiet.  The power train is much more comparable to the current RX than the previous NX in terms of immediate throttle response and smoothness.  It's also a fair bit faster than the current RX of course.  I was also impressed by the handling.  

It would be interesting to see what people make of the regular hybrid (NX350h) version.

Paul

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

I'm doing the same switch from RX450h F Sport to NX450h+ F Sport. 

I replaced my RC with the RX back in June 2020 as needed a family car and the old NX interior wasn't up to standard in my view.

RX was useful with my house move but always bigger than needed, so excited for the the new NX as interior and infotainment sorted and power/driving dynamics sound more fun. 

Normally buy nearly new but better deal on new at the moment. Trade in on my 2016 RX is £3.5k more than I paid for it and got £3k discount on the car, with delivery May/June. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links