Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing belt

nms123

s'pose it depends how long you are going to keep the car and your annual mileage ...  and how wealthy you might be too of course .......  and if the pulleys, waterpump were also dealt with at the time 

Malc

• Like 1

Timing belt replacement is mileage and time specific. Severe enviroment and ambient conditions impose further limitations on the service life of the belt. Check the manufacturer's manual.

From a previous Toyota ownership, I used to replace the timing belt every 100 000 km  ( 60 000 miles ) or 5 years whichever came up first.

If you have an interference engine valve timing and the belt snaps, then you will need another engine or a full engine overhaul.

Chris.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, nms123 said:

Timing belt replaced in 2012 at 100000miles Inow have done 120000 should i replace belt.

Cheaper than an engine rebuild. Rubber can deteriorate over time due to to the nature of the material. 

Most manufacturers are XX miles or 6 years, so definitely overdue. 

Steve

• Like 1

reading long back somewhere here that on the Ls400 the optimum change time is now considered to be 100k miles / 10 years BUT also the timing belt life to " snap " time is 150k miles

Wouldn't ever want to get to that point tho'

Malc

• Like 1

If you're keeping the car change it for peace of mind. If you're selling then change it for the buyer's peace of mind.

Were the water pump, idler pulley and tensioner changed in 2012? If not, now would be a good time to do so. This is the type of kit I used on my LS400:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334202313768?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQiA3rKQBhCNARIsACUEW_ak5dgWShGzUF98_TjoD9_oULNL0uJVn3wSP7m0-Q5THmKf3A8Q33IaAmS2EALw_wcB

Image 1 - Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit fits LEXUS SC430 UZZ40 4.3 01 to 10 3UZ-FE Set New

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links