Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rust under my door trim Ls400

😈 .  and there I was today just running my hands over the rear nearside door and blow me down, the first pinprick of rust under the chrome door strip

Never heard of this before on the Mk3 Ls400 .  later cars yes............. Well, never mind, theres some surface rust on that nearside rear wheel arch too

Nothing to worry about, nowts pristine on my dear old lady nowadays ...  time for another 4k mile one month trip to somewhere sometime this summer / autumn methinks

I fancy Ireland again ....  Pembroke / Fishguard to Rosslare OR Holyhead to Dublin  ..........  your thoughts gentlemen  ...... I did Holyhead to Dublin before .....  lovely restful sea crossing too at the time

Malc

• Like 1

I also have a similar problem, so will be interested to hear of any first experiences. No doubt the solution is out there somewhere, but knowing Lexus it probably isn't just a case of unclipping it.

• Like 1

there's some prior posts somewhere about Ls430 similar issues on the front doors  ......  some were caught under the 10 year warranty and Lexus paid but other's well, i guess just lived with it and sold-on 

I doubt it's too serious BUT if one's car is to be pristine, unlike mine ever, then maybe one needs a more significant pristine soluition .....  expensive no doubt tho':whistling:

Malc

I have had rust stains on parts of the car for last 8 years, but so far no eating right through the metal (only place the tin mice got seriois was in rear arches).

Noticed some slightly more aggresive rust spots the other day, but I would think even if i do diddly squat the car is okay for another 4 years, but plan to do some treatments later this year.

Not that I wash and wax that often, but when done only  notice the bits of rust and other knackered bits of paint.  I even have key marks down drivers side and most people do not  notice them.

If I could afford a full  respray I would, but I have other minor stuff to do, and the missus would not understand the point of a paint job. I do suffer a bit of envy when I see a well sorted LS 400, but the Saw one the other day which looked great from  the rear, but side on looked like it needed a lot of work.  (Never judge a car by one bumper view alone!!)

I look at cars in my neighbourhood, and see rust eating the doors, bonnets, arches, etc and we are talking 10-15 year old cars, mainly German ones.

• Like 1

The admittedly very small rust spots are the only ones on the car, and they have been like that for several years, even with the car living outside for 26 years.  However, they will be addressed one day.

I seem to recall watching a video a couple of years ago, which I can't find now, about removing the external window trim, which from memory involved removing the door panel and interior window trim, thus revealing the retaining screws/clips for the "chrome" trim.

When I get round to it I will post a "How to".

Contemporary BMWs and Mercedes are much easier!

On 5/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, Malc said:

😈 .  and there I was today just running my hands over the rear nearside door and blow me down, the first pinprick of rust under the chrome door strip

Never heard of this before on the Mk3 Ls400 .  later cars yes............. Well, never mind, theres some surface rust on that nearside rear wheel arch too

Nothing to worry about, nowts pristine on my dear old lady nowadays ...  time for another 4k mile one month trip to somewhere sometime this summer / autumn methinks

I fancy Ireland again ....  Pembroke / Fishguard to Rosslare OR Holyhead to Dublin  ..........  your thoughts gentlemen  ...... I did Holyhead to Dublin before .....  lovely restful sea crossing too at the time

Malc

Rust seems to be a theme this week.

Scotland as a long drive? Some amazing scenery awaits!

3 hours ago, PCM said:

Scotland as a long drive? Some amazing scenery awaits!

Scotland       sometimes did a 4 week 3k or so mile round trip from Kent .  just ambling along taking in the scenery with no real fixed schedules . just finding o'nights here and there 

Likewise when i did the same in Ireland back in 2019 I think it was .  but about 4k miles over that months adventure  .  Twas a long round trip via Fishguard tho'

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links