Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

sat nav questions

hello all, can you help please, i have bought a CT200H sports 2012, the sat nav needs updating, first question is i have been told i can change the original software for tom tom , is this correct? or can i change it to another type if so what? also i see i can purchase updates on sd cards but my model  does not have a slot for SD cards, it says to update it using a USB stick , is this correct? can i install the sd card on to a usb?has anyone done this or can point me in the right direction to update my sat nav please 

Hi Philip and welcome to the club.

No, you can't change the software to TomTom. Many, many people on here would be ecstatic if that were possible, but the only way to do that is to kick the Lexus nav into touch and buy a third-party device.

I've never liked the Lexus nav so I've never tried updating it but, something worth mentioning is that if you go down that route (hah, see what I did there, route 😊 - I'll get me coat) it will still be running on a clunky, outdated, slow operating system because map updates are just that, maps, not operating system.

There are a couple of good alternatives out there depending on how much you want to spend.

Personally, I went with a Grom Vline 2 which is expensive but it does SO much more than just navigation. It's a full-blown Android computer (tablet) that integrates with the car's multimedia system and also keeps the OEM functionality of the steering wheel buttons and so on. You can use any maps you like, such as Waze, Google Maps, Sygic or HereWeGo, to name just a few. You can also download and run any app from the Google Play Store and have it display on the car's main screen.

If you want to know more there are plenty YouTube videos out there and here's a (pretty awful) one from me as I installed it in my 2018 RX:

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum Phillip and for buying into the Lexus fraternity.

You are in excellent company as you have received a response from our Electrics Wizard, Herbie.

I note that yet again he has provided excellent advice and you should give it your utmost attention.

Feel free to ask questions and participate as much as you can,in the Forum`s problems.

Please do tell us why you decided to buy a Lexus and what you drove last and do send us all some piccies of the CT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philip.mcsparron said:

hello all, can you help please, i have bought a CT200H sports 2012, the sat nav needs updating, first question is i have been told i can change the original software for tom tom , is this correct? or can i change it to another type if so what? also i see i can purchase updates on sd cards but my model  does not have a slot for SD cards, it says to update it using a USB stick , is this correct? can i install the sd card on to a usb?has anyone done this or can point me in the right direction to update my sat nav please 

I doubt you can get better advice on matters Lexus electrical than from Herbs.  And most here would agree that updating the Lexus navigation system - even if possible - would still leave you with a very inferior system.

I use my Garmin!

However, if you’re determined to have a go and since you mentioned using a USB stick, here’s an article on updating, from the Lexus website, that uses a USB stick.  If it works, do let us know!

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/how-to-update-maps-on-your-lexus-navigation-system/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links