Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service cost ~~~

chrisdior

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

I think it's fairly typical.

So although the garage charges per hour, the costs of running a garage are largely fixed, staff have to be paid whether they are working or not, so the hourly charge will need to cover all of those costs, not just the 30-mins it might take for an oil change.

The previous example of the mobile mechanic with a much lower charge rate works because his overheads will be much lower and I assume is a self-employed one man business.

Yeah he's a one man business but he also has the use of a premises 2 days per week for jobs that require a ramp, MOT's, etc. So he can do practically everything.

The good thing is that he actually does the work. Leave your car at a garage and walk away and I've heard stories from plenty of mechanics that they do little as possible when they worked for Arnold Clark they were told to do that and also for every car you need to add x,y and z to the bill regardless. Even when they challenged what if it's an old lady they said everyone. He walked away after hearing that.

An oil change was just an oil top up. They spent the majority of the time on the car valeting it so it gave the customer the impression it had been well looked after. That's directly from an Arnold Clark mechanic who is a family friend.

Heard loads of other stories from BMW forums too similar to mine where I've paid good money and even provided parts and nothing was done. You have to ask. Who would even check? Would any of you check spark plugs, filters or oil after a service?

• Like 1

I check oil after a service,  and was given the old spark plugs back by Lexus when they changed mine last year. If I get my local garage to do an interim oil change I provide the oil and filter.

That said, either a main dealer, a local garage, or a mobile mechanic, can rip you off if they choose. In the end it's about finding someone you can trust and then sticking with them. I don't mind paying a little more for that and the peace of mind.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, SonnyA85 said:

That's expensive. I suppose it depends on how expensive rent and rates are as well so will vary massively by area.

I actually think it's a misprice possibly on the Petronas oil. As that oil should be at least £10-£15 dearer IMO per 5l container. It's a very very good price. I might get some and another oil filter now for next year's oil change because it will only go up.

Thought you might like to know that Opie are selling it on eBay for £30.56 for 5 ltrs, and £44.63 for 7 ltrs, both with free postage.

I use a family member who is a mechanic, I tend to steer clear of main dealers as the fella above mentioned I also Have buddies who work for reputable car brands including Lexus and all say the same as above.

If its a low mileage service they just topped the oil up. filters normally left ect ect.  

I pay £150 for a interim and £250 for a full service. 

Not saying all dealers are doing bad services but I would rather spend a little less and guarantee the service I pay for.

As the owner of a Motor Factor spare parts business for many years. It was evident to me that by far the worst offenders of dodgy work practices back then, were by the small independent Workshops. Many offering knock down hourly rates then loading the addons or skimping the work giving very poor value for money.

In comparison there is always a hierarchy in Car Manufacture franchises, and any corners cut on the workshop floor will eventually come back and bite the dealer principle and could even result in the complete closure by the Manufacture of the offending franchise.

Many dealers are very savvy with the practise of owner's marking service items so they can assess if the work was carried out and the repercussions it might have if not done as required. Hence why many will send a live vid to your phone to verify what problems they encounter.

False economy cutting corners for Lexus when they are giving you a free 10-year warranty, who's going to pick up the damage bill?

I'm not saying there are no shoddy mechanics employed but doubt it would be general dealer practice to encourage substandard work, with the likely downside if the s*** hits the fan.

I guess if I was offered 2 guns to play Russian Roulette with, I would fancy the dealers to have the least bullets loaded. 😅

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is invoice from 90K km service (car has actually only 80.719km on the counter so why it is called 90K km service is not for me to tell):

image.thumb.png.a9647edeed9480718d25c05335d537f1.png

Spark plugs                                                                                             116.64

Brake fluid – 1L                                                                                         16.98

Hybrid oil - 4L                                                                                          73.96

Air filter 27.44€                                                                                        27.44

Brake pad kit                                                                                            79.53

Engine oil Shell Helix Ultra SN Plus 0W20 - 4L                                     54.30

Extension of Lexus Relax (hybrid battery)                                             35.00

Plus, something to dispose of whatever

Total                                                                                                         696.89 €

All prices in € and with the current market where £ - $ - € are up and down I have no idea how much it would be in UK.

Seems that there is hybrid oil (whatever that is) in the service, and changing brake pads when car has run 80K km is sooner than I expected. Hybrid warranty 35€ is cheaper than I have heard before (65€) but maybe discount because having service at same time.

All in all, better service than the latest 2 service visits to same garage.

The only Lexus garage here so choice is limited.

image.thumb.png.940e21522b96772129f05eb243cc256b.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links