Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

steering question

Alanh12

sc430, 2004, 79k, well serviced, standard alloys, good tyres

recent addition and only just started using it to be honest

never driven one before so not sure what to expect

Im finding steering vague and sometimes wandery, as an extreme comparison, id say far milder symptoms but like a series 3 landrover

Is this normal?

checked tyre pressures, tyres look to be tracking normally, no obvious things going on under the car ie track rod ends, rack gaiters

Any comments welcomed. thanks

On 6/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, Alanh12 said:

Im finding steering vague and sometimes wandery, as an extreme comparison, id say far milder symptoms but like a series 3 landrover

Is this normal?

checked tyre pressures, tyres look to be tracking normally, no obvious things going on under the car ie track rod ends, rack gaiters

Hi Alan,

I have a recently acquired 2007 SC430 and also find the steering strange. It feels a bit like there is play in the steering and it is on run flat tyres.

The car has just passed an MoT had a 4 wheel alignment check and the non RFT tyres are good.

As it was going to Lexus Gatwick for cambelt/waterpump replacement I asked them to check the suspension/steering bushes when they did the vehicle inspection and they reported no obvious issues, so at least I know the MoT guy didn't miss something.

Let me know if/when you find what the issue is, as it is the one thing that I am unhappy with on what I think is a great car.

Martin

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, Alanh12 said:

Is this normal?

What quality  of tyres do you have fitted and do all four match ?

I had a Toyota with bridgestones on the back and Chinese ditch finders on the front , drove like the shock absorbers were worn out. Fit a set of Avon’s and it transformed the car totally.

• Like 3

So, as part of my plan to bring the car to suit me, i bought a set of the later model star type alloys, had them refurbished, balanced etc and put a new set of standard sized firestones all round. Problem cured. Front and backs were different brands.

no more wobbles or wandering

next step 20mm quality spacers front,30 rear to fill arches a bit better

anyone got set for sale?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alanh12 said:

So, as part of my plan to bring the car to suit me, i bought a set of the later model star type alloys, had them refurbished, balanced etc and put a new set of standard sized firestones all round. Problem cured. Front and backs were different brands.

no more wobbles or wandering

next step 20mm quality spacers front,30 rear to fill arches a bit better

anyone got set for sale?

Well done , old tyres can cause so many problems ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alanh12 said:

Problem cured. Front and backs were different brands.

no more wobbles or wandering.

Very interesting, Alan.

So often on this site I read a post in which a driver is going to change two worn tyres for a differ brand.  And will sometimes also put the new tyres on the wrong axle ie the front.

I - and others - jump in to urge buying four new tyres in order to have the same on both axles and so avoid potential performance problems.  It can be difficult because the decision is usually based on economic necessity.  So it’s interesting to have your experience vindicating that advice.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links