Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tpms warning reset

2 minutes ago, Holy diver said:

My tpms warning light on the dash came on, but I can't find the reset button..2015 is300h ... Is there one? I've looked everywhere lol

If the warning light came on then you have low pressure in a tyre (or possibly a fault). Check all pressures and inflate as needed and go for a drive and the light will reset if it's tyre pressures. The reset should only be done if you want to change the pressure at which it illuminates. The rest button is quite well hidden under the dash under the steering wheel. 

18 minutes ago, Holy diver said:

Checking tyre pressure was the first thing I done, but it says in the book to inflate tyres to correct pressure ,reset ,then drive for approx 30 miles 

OK - in my experience so long as you don't want to reset the pressure at which the tpms warning is triggered then simply inflating the tyres to the correct pressure and driving around for a while will see the warning light go out (didn't need 30 miles, probably 10 at the most) assuming that all was OK previously. If you want to reset (change) the pressures at which the tpms comes on then yes, inflate all tyres to their correct pressure and then press the reset button (under the dash) and drive around for a while for it to register.

So if the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure then the warning light will go out by itself?  I worked in the factory that made tpms sensors for 12 years  lol blooming things are a pain 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Holy diver said:

So if the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure then the warning light will go out by itself?  I worked in the factory that made tpms sensors for 12 years  lol blooming things are a pain 🙂

Yes, so long as it was all working (i.e. not lit) before one of the tyres lost pressure thus activating the tpms, then after inflating the tyre(s) back to the correct pressure and driving around for a bit the tpms light should go out until a tyre once again loses pressure below the threshold. This often catches people out when we get into cold winter months as the tyres may loose enough pressure in the cold to activate the tpms warning and just require extra air in them for the cold weather and the tpms light will go out again.

Before doing a reset it's definitely worth just having a drive around for 10 miles or so if all your pressures are now to spec (I assume you used a decent gauge - not at a garage or service station - and the tyres were cold when checking/inflating). If that doesn't work then consider double checking tyre pressures and doing the reset (which will then reset the tpms trigger point based on your current tyre pressures).

4 minutes ago, Holy diver said:

Cool thank you, I bought my foot pump 2nd hand, 15 years ago lol I might need a new one 🙂

You might consider investing in a digital portable pump which enables you to set a target pressure which it inflates to before switching off.  Unless you particularly want the exercise!

With regard to the TPMS reset: my warning light came on after having a new set of tyres and the fitter also said just drive around for a while.

After a couple of days, I decided - having finally located the switch hidden under the dash - to try the official reset procedure instead.   This did - eventually - solve the problem!

• Thanks 1

I would also add, losing pressure in the tyre may not be as the result of a puncture (which tpms is great at detecting) but could be down to a faulty/leaking sensor valve.

I had this once on a Toyota and the problem lay with the sensor/valve. A puncture or new tyre would have been much cheaper to sort.

It needed a new sensor/valve which I believe then may need coding to the system.

I know sometimes in the winter that tpms can activate with temperature change, may be the same with the extreme heat.... Good luck in sorting

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cadman2k said:

a faulty/leaking sensor valve

No need for a new sensor unless Battery is flat. Just a fitting kit.

Mine was leaking once, I gave this kit to the tyre shop and all sorted. £10.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-3-tpms-fitting-kit/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links