Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Infotainment/Sat Nav screen

On my previous RX it was possible to split the screen so that it showed the SatNav on 2/3rds and other info like radio stations, energy monitor, favourite phone numbers etc on the other 1/3rd.

Has anyone found a way of doing this on the 2022 NX screen?

With the current Lexus system, there is no split screen function. Maybe in a future OTA update.

It would be nice as a configurable home screen

Edited by NiCoRe
Add-on

37 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Thanks @NiCoRe, that’s why I can’t figure out how to do it 👍

Sometimes I do think that new technology takes a backward step.

That is a backwards step, for a new car. Very surprised. I find the split screen really useful on my CT.

And here is what Lexus said ...

"According to Technical Communications Lead Chris Pedregon, the decision to only show one thing at once was to highlight the new natural voice command functionality and to "minimize the touch-touch-touch" of using a touchscreen. She also noted that people did not like that the old Lexus NX only had a split screen. Another Lexus representative noted that secondary information, say that radio information, can be shown in the instrument panel."

The full article appeared on https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/07/2022-lexus-nx-infotainment-review/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIruwYaUNnzAypht3pdkNjgW9Ti3RvJKoki3xuVHbLD9QTGGu9hEcEPvoEhtnTYCfuRAIZzshn1i8fSaEqvqkzXci_xxK6bFMKYB-Ye96mQpHMRUoRfZTHOE8LKpc0ECD8X0LU72IAlFLDP_oLQQpoXh_GhZOfZQ4id5M6LSzWg2

I can only speak about apple carplay, when on the system bottom right hand corner there are 6 black squares, if you touch it it splits the screen in 2 and you can have the sat nav on one side and the radio , music and messages or whatever you set it up for on the other. I have tried on the Lexus system but can’t get it to do the same.

24 minutes ago, 78csj said:

I can only speak about apple carplay, when on the system bottom right hand corner there are 6 black squares, if you touch it it splits the screen in 2 and you can have the sat nav on one side and the radio , music and messages or whatever you set it up for on the other. I have tried on the Lexus system but can’t get it to do the same.

Yes, CarPlay does have a split screen option. But @RXtoNX was looking for a "native" split screen option which is pretty standard feature across automakers. On my VW Discover Pro entertainment system, the Home Screen displays on one half navigation. The other half is splitted between audio source and frequent phone contacts.
Lexus says it is by design, due to ergonomic consideration but that sounds like a pretty poor explanation.

@Harrier Man, the Lexus response lacks as much logic as the operation of some of the settings do.

So, if I want to instantly see if drive is using Battery at low speeds when in HV mode I have to touch the screen, negating the “touch, touch, touch” response and instead spend more time asking the car to show me something (assuming that it understands), during which time driving conditions may have changed.
Bizarre, sometimes the simplest of things work for the better. Just like having the stalk to operate cruise control rather than having to look at the HUD to see which button is being operated by your thumb on the multi function switch pad.

So many good things about the car but a shame, IMO, that  they’ve gone over the top with gimmicky technology

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

And here is what Lexus said ...

"According to Technical Communications Lead Chris Pedregon, the decision to only show one thing at once was to highlight the new natural voice command functionality and to "minimize the touch-touch-touch" of using a touchscreen. She also noted that people did not like that the old Lexus NX only had a split screen. Another Lexus representative noted that secondary information, say that radio information, can be shown in the instrument panel."

The full article appeared on https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/07/2022-lexus-nx-infotainment-review/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIruwYaUNnzAypht3pdkNjgW9Ti3RvJKoki3xuVHbLD9QTGGu9hEcEPvoEhtnTYCfuRAIZzshn1i8fSaEqvqkzXci_xxK6bFMKYB-Ye96mQpHMRUoRfZTHOE8LKpc0ECD8X0LU72IAlFLDP_oLQQpoXh_GhZOfZQ4id5M6LSzWg2

I'd say that translates to 'they forgot to include it and are trying to bluff it out'

We had a Rav 4 hybrid before the 450hx and it is very frustrating how features that had (like that split Nav/Radio) screen have not been carried over.  

12 hours ago, Stevek13 said:

I'd say that translates to 'they forgot to include it and are trying to bluff it out'

I agree - it seems like Lexus are simply trying to pull the wool over our eyes trying to justify the absence of something that they should have given us. In that case, why not give us a choice between full screen and split screen then?

Having said that, I mainly use Android Auto so the layout of the native screen isn't a deal breaker for me - but I might use the native system more if it was split screen.

The whole design of the Infotainment/Sat Nav screen functionality reeks of them starting with a blank sheet of paper and not doing an audit back to the 'use case' requirements set of previous cars people liked.  That is if they ever had a proper defined requirement set for those.

Still on the positive side it makes every other software house in the world look good in comparison 😉

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links