Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing camera

Ken Timbers

I said I would report on the fitting of a reversing camera when I was able to drive again (following a double cataract operation). The fitting was carried out by Bromley Audio, tasked by Lexus Sidcup as part of my purchase of the car. I don't therefore know how much Lexus paid for the work, but I believe it was under £500.

I'm attaching a photo of the fitting, which sits over the standard review mirror. The camera lens is hidden below the number plate. All the 'plumbing' is neatly hidden away.

It's not a pretty arrangement, as you can see, but it works like other reversing cameras I have used, giving a clear image behind the car and two 'bars' that indicate the direction of movement. While it's not as good as the system I had on my recent RC300, it does what I needed sufficiently well for peace of mind! On the other hand, it's not as good as the standard rear view mirror in terms of rear view clarity, and I find myself using the 'wing' mirrors more than I used to. I haven't driven the car at night yet, so I don't know what difference, if any, that will reveal.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1367ddaff9e7124fc0499f1825233a2.jpeg

Hi Ken

Glad to hear you are back driving again and glad to hear your operation went well. Now you can enjoy the remainder sunny weather driving with the top down.

Sorry to have to say it but that is the ugliest reverse camera mirror I have ever seen. I can't believe a Lexus dealer would subscribe to having a system like that fitted to what is a beautiful cockpit.

It is possible for the image to appear on the sat nav screen and I am sur within the £500 you mentioned.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on with your new toy!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Sorry to have to say it but that is the ugliest reverse camera mirror I have ever seen. I can't believe a Lexus dealer would subscribe to having a system like that fitted to what is a beautiful cockpit.

It is possible for the image to appear on the sat nav screen and I am sur within the £500 you mentioned.

Anthony,

I had a feeling that it wouldn't be admired! I haven't been in contact with Bromley Audio myself, so I'm tempted to call them and see whether they know how to get the image onto the satnav screen. Do you have any details of a system that does that?

• Like 1

Hi Ken

My understanding is there are only two wires from the camera. One is the feed which switches the camera on and is connected into the rear brake lights. The other one sends the picture to the screen.

I believe a wiring harness is required to patch this lead into the sat nav unit but there are guys on here who have definitely done it so I know it is possible!

Anthony 

• Like 1

I also have a reversing camera setup made by Wolfbox where the screen fits over the existing rear view mirror. It also has front and rear dash cams. It does work well but not so good in sunny days especially so with the top down. You can also turn it off and use it as a normal mirror.  I fitted it at the end of last year but now I probably would have gone for the SC430mods.com reversing camera as that one does connect  to the existing Sat Nav screen for viewing. I still then would have to find a front and rear dash cam setup. I may at some point fit the SC430mods one as well as the Wolfbox and have two cameras about the rear number plate. The Wolfbox is the same height as the existing rear view mirror but extends over the end for the front camera to view forward. Visually I don’t thing it looks to bad considering it is strapped to the rear view mirror. For me it is a compromise to get front and rear dash cams.

8B6F5F4C-C517-4380-A728-F30605EC6250.thumb.jpeg.2ba33e7a9a563fbbb41d73b806af7f42.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Naviks is a popular 'add-on' (particularly in the US) that can provide some plug-in versatility I believe but I think the common solution connects to the reverse light and to the navigation feed so that it switches the signal to the screen when reverse is engaged. I don't know the details because it's probably the best and simplest way to do it and I always like to make things very complex so I have something completely different for front and rear cams.🤣  

One other point to mention is the location of the rear camera. If I was to do it again, I would mount the lens in the centre of the rear spoiler for a much better viewing angle. It's a more difficult install but worth doing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thanks to Anthony, Glyn and Neil for their helpful comments. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the reversing camera modification from SC430mods. The cost, including postage but not customs duties, was just shy of $200, which seems very reasonable. The kit is shown on their website together with a video of it in operation. Bromley Audio have agreed to install it for me when it arrives, which will be in about a week's time. I'm getting the work done by Bromley Audio because they'll be able to remove the kit that I don't like, knowing where everything went! They also do excellent work!

I'll post an update when I've got it all done, together with pics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ken for starting what has been a very interesting feed. As I am currently considerating the alternatives of this very upgrade I have followed it closely.

I already have a reverse camera but need to know where and how to connect it into the sat nav screen.

Let's hope you clever guys out there will explain to me and others who are interested in simple terms what needs to be done to achieve the desired result.

Anthony

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

I already have a reverse camera but need to know where and how to connect it into the sat nav screen.

If you look at the website www.sc430mods.com, you can see a shot of the equipment they sell. It looks a lot more complicated than just joining a single wire to some point in the satnav screen. I heard today that they have now sent the kit off on its journey to me, and I'll see whether there are comprehensive instructions for fitting. I'm no electrician—that's why I'm  handing the job over to Bromley Audio—but if you think there's anything in the pack's instructions that would help you work out how to install your camera, let me know and I'll pass it on.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:10 PM, Lexiguy said:

I would be very interested in what you are sent, pic if possible and of any instructions.

Anthony,

Herewith a couple of shots of the pack I received this morning (amazingly quick delivery!). I'm afraid there were no instructions with it and I hope the people I'm handing this over to can work out what goes where! I haven't tried to unravel all the cables and I've no idea what the black-banded box contains. The separate item is the camera in its fitting strip.

IMG_0574.thumb.jpeg.f830eb7cfd9854d0e42f8f3b066366dc.jpeg

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.44238d3583bea5e3b42d1d6bd87c6704.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here a link to the installation video

I thought someone also did a guide to installing it on the SC430 UK Facebook Forum but I can’t find it now. That’s the trouble with Forums on Facebook you can never find anything afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Here a link to the installation video

I thought someone also did a guide to installing it on the SC430 UK Facebook Forum but I can’t find it now. That’s the trouble with Forums on Facebook you can never find anything afterwards.

Found it on the SC430mods forum on Facebook. A written guide with pictures on how to install the camera thanks to Mark Dressel. Here’s the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5768778186473135/permalink/8210156749001921/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glyn, that's a very helpful post—thank you very much! I had a look in that Facebook forum, but didn't find this splendid guide, which I can now pass on to the firm that's agreed to install the kit in my car. I was a bit worried that the video posted in SC430mods seemed more concerned with how to get at the car's chassis than in how to make the necessary connections, but this guide is much clearer on the subject. I haven't got a date for the installation yet, but when it's done I'll be posting on the outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have now sold all the SC bits I had for sale on eBay so I’ve decided to buy one of the SC430mods rear view camera myself as I like the idea of having the camera view on the sat nav screen. I probably won’t use the bracket to mount the camera though as I like the flush fit stuck on numberplate look. What would be cool is if you could fit a additional front facing camera on a switch to this setup using the same feed into the sat nav. I am sure it could be done does anyone have any ideas?

I realise it would mean running wires from the front of the car to the boot which would not be a problem for me as I reckon they isn’t any interior panel I haven’t already removed at some point. I would just need advice on where to make the connections to power the camera and video feed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I’ve decided to buy one of the SC430mods rear view camera myself as I like the idea of having the camera view on the sat nav screen. I probably won’t use the bracket to mount the camera though as I like the flush fit stuck on numberplate look. What would be cool is if you could fit a additional front facing camera on a switch to this setup using the same feed into the sat nav.

I was surprised at how quickly the package arrived—three days and no Customs duties, which impressed me. I assume you're going to fit it yourself—I regret it's way beyond my abilities, even if I were fit enough to take it on! You'll probably have it installed and working well before I can get mine done!

I'm not sure about the idea of a front facing camera. I'd have thought the sensors would do all you need for parking? Or do you have other reasons for wanting one?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on delivery and custom charges. I was an gas engineer many years ago so am well versed in taking things apart and enjoy the challenge.

As for the front facing camera I like to have both. I also have a RX450h which has front and rear cameras as well as on the sides so I guess I am used to being spoilt.  If ever you get to buy an RX they are such a nice car compared to it’s rivals. You just can’t throw it around and the fuel consumption is not great.

• Like 2

I ordered the  SC430mods rear view camera and it arrived today.  I have just finished installing it and it was pretty straight forward apart from me knocking over my quarter inch socket set with stuff going everywhere and one socket rolling into a one inch round hole that was impossible to get to with no other access. Fortunately I was able to retrieve it with one of those telescopic magnet tools. I had visions of it rolling round while driving the  car and in turn would have driven me nuts.

I didn't use the camera fixing bracket as intended to fix behind the number plate but instead shortened the bracket to the size of the gap between the rear number plate lights and attached it in this gap with double sided tap. This did mean reattaching the camera to the bracket the other way up which was easy to do. The only other different thing I did was to run the wire to the camera through a hole I made in the rubber grommet in the boot which I will seal with some silicone rather than run the wires at the side of the grommet where they would be touching the metal bodywork. 

After all this I have come across a slight problem which I have contacted Calvin at SC430mods about in that the image is mostly black and white and the yellow parking lines are purple.  Having said that it does work and is usable.  This may be down to my clumsiness in fitting it or a faulty unit.  I have also queried with Calvin as whether this may be related to an NTSC/PAL issue ie do SC430 Sat Navs in the UK use the PAL system to input to the screen and other markets use NTSC to input to the screen.

I will report back when I here from Calvin. 

Ken - I will be interested to see if you have the same issue when  yours is fitted rather than just me.  If you haven't arranged fitting yet you might want to wait to see what Calvin comes back with.  Calvin is a very straight guy who will sought things out for his customers.

Here’s some photos bearing in mind I have two cameras. The one on the left is for the dash cam.

C68642FA-6F5F-48DA-98FF-9A4ECC11B446.thumb.jpeg.9e7b813caf424be5338a1604f5e12322.jpeg

8CE579DC-F5DE-4231-AC31-13E75E77BAD1.thumb.jpeg.ea8db92708e00d8543a6e6b7511ac8ed.jpeg

406671C0-7316-4802-B9F1-2B61B3F82B40.thumb.jpeg.feffadf90d6494a5d6707b2e80d06b44.jpeg

CC6CA803-B889-475C-B598-4B2D10EA1AE2.thumb.jpeg.428c66f0e62a5f039e8cd446c3c79c9e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Glyn

That was very informative and useful. 

It has spurred me into action and I have ordered front and rear flush fitting parking sensors and a front and rear dash cam. 

That lot will keep me out of mischief for a while!

Ant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Ken - I will be interested to see if you have the same issue when  yours is fitted rather than just me.  If you haven't arranged fitting yet you might want to wait to see what Calvin comes back with.  Calvin is a very straight guy who will sought things out for his customers.

I was very interested to see your report on fitting the kit, Glyn. I've got my car booked in for a fitting on Friday and I don't want to risk losing the appointment and having to wait much longer—it's a very busy firm. I'll report your findings to them—they're the sort of guys who have huge experience across the electronics field and they may know exactly what to do. I'll know the answer on Friday and will post the result.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

I was very interested to see your report on fitting the kit, Glyn. I've got my car booked in for a fitting on Friday and I don't want to risk losing the appointment and having to wait much longer—it's a very busy firm. I'll report your findings to them—they're the sort of guys who have huge experience across the electronics field and they may know exactly what to do. I'll know the answer on Friday and will post the result.

I think you will be OK Ken as Calvin has come back to me and said the green wire on my harness  is defective so it looks like it is just me. Tomorrow I will test it with a multimeter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Glyn,  All went well today and I now have an excellent, working reversing camera. I'd have written earlier, but I haven't had time to take a photo of the screen. I'll do that in the morning and get it posted here. The thing I note is that I don't have the same graphics as you for the direction of the steering wheel. You have what appears to be a large white rectangle with quite a lot of purple graduations inside. I have only two parallel lines with text that says 'STOP' surmounting some red lines to indicate the limits. My camera lens is mounted below the number plate and in effect shows the ground vertically beneath it. I'll try to capture the view better, but I'll need to go and find somewhere with parking lines.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links