Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CTEK battery manager

Andrew10

New member here and just picked up a 2018 LC500.

For the winter at least it’s going to spend quite a bit of time sat in the garage so wanted to make sure the Battery is kept in good shape. I’ve come from a Cayman that allowed me to plug the CTEK unit into the cigarette lighter. 

Does anyone know if this is possible with the LC500? I’ve just given it a go and it didn’t seem to work but wondered if I was missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

The CTEK is a great trickle/maintenance charger. I've used the MSX5 version on my Mercs for many years.

The best option would be to buy the direct to Battery connection kit and just plug straight on. The cigarette lighter may not be active when the car is off and locked.

• Like 1

Thank you for such quick replies. I seem to remember with the Cayman some models shut the lighter power when inactive but others didn’t.  I used this method because there seemed to be quite a lot of debate about the best place to locate directly on the Battery but I will have a look at this option. Am I right in thinking the Battery is located in the boot?

I put mine on a maintenance charge if I think I won't be going out again for a couple of weeks. TBH, it is very easy to connect via croc clips to the underbonnet jump start point and a suitable exposed metal area. From your description, you will not be taking it on and off charge all the time and the car will be garaged so the simplicity of this will be fine with no need to scrabble in the boot.

The CTEK will charge and maintain the Battery just fine.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, Andrew10 said:

New member here and just picked up a 2018 LC500.

For the winter at least it’s going to spend quite a bit of time sat in the garage so wanted to make sure the battery is kept in good shape. I’ve come from a Cayman that allowed me to plug the CTEK unit into the cigarette lighter. 

Does anyone know if this is possible with the LC500? I’ve just given it a go and it didn’t seem to work but wondered if I was missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

You say you already have a CTEK Andrew.  Do you not have the lead with the permanent post connectors that connects directly to the CTEK?

This is one that CTEK sell, which I have fitted.  This particular one has a traffic light system of leds that give an indication as to the charge level.
They do come in different sizes for connecting to the posts, so check before ordering.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/indicator-eyelet-m8

This photo is how the lead connects to the posts.  The other end plugs into the CTEK lead into the charger.  I hope this helps.

52E45991-6584-4852-B58D-0989F16CA4A7.thumb.jpeg.d1695e243b41f2ca09cef4b4796b350d.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you LenT and Suffolk Tony that is great. 

I will have a look at what connections I have - I have only been using the 9V adapter for the last few years. Knowing the CTEK unit can sit in the boot is very useful. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links