Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Catalytic converter theft

Dido

Hi, I’m new here, had my Lexus for 3 years and I love it.

Unfortunately my catalytic converter was nicked last week. I’m looking for advice on a cost effective cat lock. I’ve been quoted £366 to get one fitted but as a disabled pensioner I can’t stretch to that.
Can anyone suggest a cheaper option please as I’m really worried they’ll come back and steal it again. Thanks in advance.

• Sad 1

There is this Lexus product which will be cheaper to buy, but you’ll need to have it fitted.  You’ll also need to check that it’s correct for your model.

Like most of these systems, it will deter the opportunist thief.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-rx400h-phase-2-catalytic-converter-lock/

Other possible considerations would be to improve your security.  I have fitted Eufy security cameras and video door bells which have already proved their worth.  Also available at Costco.

https://uk.eufy.com/pages/security-deals utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_content=brand&utm_campaign=uk_security_seach_brand&utm_term={17089394549}_{136327749539}_{595337611195}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudjd8OqQ-gIVgbTtCh1XDgBDEAAYASAAEgIANPD_BwE

I appreciate that this is still added expense, although depending on where you park, you may just need a video doorbell system and a motion-activated security light.  And of course they’re protecting more than just your car.

You may find that your local Police will have an officer who will come round and give you free security advice.  Sometimes a simple warning about etching a security code on the converter can be an effective deterrent.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.
It is the Lexus cat lock I’ve looked at, it’s £286 then the fitting cost and as you say it’s not foolproof.

I’ve already ordered a cctv camera with floodlight and siren, will definitely look into fitting a smart doorbell as well.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the only other option I know of is a place in Harrow, which is a bit far from you. They advertise on eBay and will supply and fit a cat clamp for £170, or for £250 with an added steel plate. They also supply & fit aftermarket cat converters for £350.

That said, I've been in two minds about getting something fitted. Cat thieves seem to be quite brazen and so, once under a car, it's possible they'll take the extra time to cut through any protective plate/harness. Currently it's a problem without a foolproof solution.

• Thanks 1

Some years ago I always had one or two extra loud sirens fitted inside my cars. Over 130 decibels. It was proven no one could stand it for more than 1 second. 

An idea from this is to have one or two loud sirens fitted underneath the car. Once armed and the car lifted by the slightest amount would fire off the car alarm and those loud sirens. It would be far too painful for any cat thieving scum to stand. Just an idea and one I think I posted a couple years back. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey my CT200 cat converter got stolen too recently. Lexus dealership have given me quote £1130 for replacement+fitting but might increase depending on the damage done. Insurance says they'll only cover this if it's economically viable and their go to is their own local garage.

Does anyone know a rough estimate of increase in insurance premium after claiming it with insurance company?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links