Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Battery - GSF

Blimey - they don’t like a low charge on the battery…….

I haven’t really used the car over the last couple of months, when I have it been to the shops and back and to compound the lack of use we’ve  been away on holiday for the last week, so hasn’t moved during that time.

I am changing the GSF after 4 years. It’s the longest I’ve kept a daily as it’s been so good, and issue free until today.

Jumped in it, started no bother, did some errands, heated seats on for the first time since the spring, had a call in the car, and then went to the local Porsche dealer to have look at a potential new car. 
went back to the GSF, went to start it got a warning of Park brake unavailable and the usual press brake pedal to start, flashing between the 2 messages then nothing. The blind spot warning light on the wing mirror was flashing really fast, the Rev counter needle twitching and and chattering of relays. Then nothing, again.

must known the end is nigh.

The techs at the Porsche centre gave me a jump start and got me going- the RAC were going to be 4 1/2 hours……, it’s going to lexus tomorrow to get checked out and a new Battery.

The cars 6 and a bit years old, and with it not getting a regular run every week or so to Leeds since changing job during covid, the Battery has been getting a hammering and likely no real chance to put any real charge back, as it’s really just used around the doors.

but let’s face it, in 6 1/2 years of lexus ownership, It’s the first time I’ve ever had a problem, and a flat Battery can be excused.

let’s hope the new Battery lasts as long, and a surprisingly very reasonable £127.

Same thing happened to mine over Covid, all the short 'necessary' journies, compounded with sitting for ages didn't do it any good and the Battery threw a tantrum. Would say that since putting a Yuasa Silver in, it started on the button after being away for almost a month and not a single issue since.

As you say, maybe it new its time was coming! 😂

You might want to think about picking up a jump starter and keeping it in the boot. I have a NOCO GB50. Tiny thing, but proven to have no problem cranking big engines.

My Battery also sounded a tiny bit weak when I started the car yesterday. Cold weather along with not driving it much in the last couple of weeks. I'll ask them to test it next time I'm at Lexus.

• Like 2

I have a CTEK for the LS in the workshop, considering the F is my 'daily' was hoping to be driving enough to not warrant needing one at home. I also have a NOCO, brilliant bits of kit has only been used on neighbours/ friends cars ironically!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

All done, Lexus Newcastle first class as ever, £107! Fitted.

Excellent, out of interest did they test the Battery and find it not up to spec? Or did you just ask for a new one regardless?

I had the Battery changed regardless - if it’s failed once it’s on its way out. They tested it and they said it was at a low charge level this morning. I’m sure I could have charged it and it would have been fine but better safe than sorry.

there was a load of fault codes cleared, all indicative of Battery failure. Which is to be expected.

I had a flat Battery last year after it was sat over xmas whilst visiting family turns out it was a loose negative connection on the Battery but I had to use the emergency electric handbrake release in order to move it so it could be jumped which had to be code reset but I had to drive 150 miles with the car beeping at me 😆

My indie was telling me that on some of the newer BMW's the same thing can't just be code reset & requires a whole new part with about 2 hours labour to change it.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, hockeyedwards said:

I have a CTEK for the LS in the workshop, considering the F is my 'daily' was hoping to be driving enough to not warrant needing one at home. I also have a NOCO, brilliant bits of kit has only been used on neighbours/ friends cars ironically!

I too have a NOCO Power Pack.

And if that’s not a sufficient endorsement for you, I was watching a recent episode of the excellent Our Farm in the Dales when Matt Baker used one to revive the family Landrover.

So…as seen on TV!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links