Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only Myself To Blame

Yesterday afternoon I decided to clean the bottom edge of the inside of my windscreen employing a folded damp cloth pressed tight between the glass and the dashboard exactly as I have done many times before.  On feeling a slight jolt of pain caused by the ring finger of my right hand rubbing against the glass I loosened my grip before finishing the job without further ado.  I thought no more about it until, about an hour later, I noticed that the aforementioned finger was loose at the upper joint.  There was no pain, no swelling or visible bruising, but I couldn’t move the finger.  I immediately took myself off the ER and was diagnosed with a damaged finger ligament and told to wear a finger splint for the next six weeks with no certainty that the finger will ever be perfectly straight again.

I have often cursed the tightness of the angle of the RC’s windscreen (not to mention that of the rear window) but, clearly, this event was my own stupid fault.  The likelihood of it ever happening to other RC owners is extremely low but I thought I’d share the experience by way of warning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, wendle said:

I have the same problem with the LC, front and back I find this tool very handy,

6768DF24-2C8C-4FCF-B8B7-16B9E8C6DEBB.png

I have used (successfully) various iterations of this idea, but by far and away the best engineered and most effective 'arm' is the one I bought from "Invisible Glass"

https://www.invisibleglass.co.uk/shop/invisible-glass-reach-clean-kit-with-2-microfibre-cloths/

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

diagnosed with a damaged finger ligament and told to wear a finger splint for the next six weeks with no certainty that the finger will ever be perfectly straight again.

I did the same taking off a wetsuit few years ago. After a few weeks in a splint it was fine, and now I can't remember (or tell) which finger it was. 

I hope yours heals fully too

4 hours ago, wendle said:

I have the same problem with the LC, front and back I find this tool very handy,

6768DF24-2C8C-4FCF-B8B7-16B9E8C6DEBB.png

2 hours ago, Illogan said:

I have used (successfully) various iterations of this idea, but by far and away the best engineered and most effective 'arm' is the one I bought from "Invisible Glass"

https://www.invisibleglass.co.uk/shop/invisible-glass-reach-clean-kit-with-2-microfibre-cloths/

Chris, when I wrote my post it crossed my mind that LC owners might also have at least as big a problem with internal glass cleaning as RC ones, and it is nice to have a confirmation of it.  I have a swivel-head device in what appears to be a similar size to yours and I occasionally use it as an alternative to the Invisible Glass product recommended by Dave, which I have also owned for many years and prefer for the rear window because of its longer reach and triangular shape that enables you to get into the corners.  The large cleaning surface of this latter product was clearly originally designed for big American cars, and I  imagine the boom in SUV sales worldwide has come as a boon to the company.  The trouble with regard to yesterday’s lamentable episode is that I tend to pull out one or other of these devices only when I want to clean the entire area of the glass.  Otherwise, I reach for whatever suitable cloth is closest to hand.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

….After a few weeks in a splint it was fine, and now I can't remember (or tell) which finger it was. 

I hope yours heals fully too

Thanks.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed.  Except for one of them, that is!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links