Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Metallic clunk noise when reversing

Hey guys

For the last few weeks I've noticed when I put the car into reverse, when reversing there is a fairly loud metallic "CLUNK" sound. Nothing that affects the operation of the car at all, but I'm wondering if this is indicative of worn bushings or anything else I should probably get sorted soon?

It is probably the rear shoes binding to the drums - parked up when hot in cold weather they will bind to the inner disc until the force of the forward movement releases them... it happens to quite a few makes of car

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Do you use the foot brake, it could be the brakes are not releasing fully.

The foot operated parking brake? I do tend to use that alot, although I have noticed it is far less effective since I left my car at Stanstead airport valeted parking so maybe this needs tightening back up via the rear shoes?

1 hour ago, is200 Newbie said:

It is probably the rear shoes binding to the drums - parked up when hot in cold weather they will bind to the inner disc until the force of the forward movement releases them... it happens to quite a few makes of car

This does make sense, as mentioned my parking brake has become less effective and has more play so maybe this needs tightening up? 

Remove the discs/drums and check everything.

Adjustment is normally done by removing the rubber bung and flicking the adjuster wheel.

I wonder if the car was driven by the valet parkers with the parking brake still on!

E48ED9D7-E166-4191-8981-C6CA0E868F73.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Remove the discs/drums and check everything.

Adjustment is normally done by removing the rubber bung and flicking the adjuster wheel.

I wonder if the car was driven by the valet parkers with the parking brake still on!

E48ED9D7-E166-4191-8981-C6CA0E868F73.png

Knowing my luck it probably was! I did notice the parking brake was off altogether when I came back from holiday, and since then the Parking Brake has never been as good before the trip. Thanks a bunch for this mate, I'll see if I can spare an evening taking a look otherwise I'll take it to a local garage. My sliding pins could do with their yearly re-grease I suppose!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

Mine does this and especially when full lock is applied. Sometimes does it going forward from stopped. Very loud and quite hairy.

Must be something chronic, my friend's and my dad's does the same thing. They are both automatics, my IS250s never did this but I only had manuals.

When my passenger side rear caliper changed, when reversing I heard a clunking noise. It could be something to do with the caliper/pins, just a guess. I had this problem as soon as they fitted a Pagic Caliper new pin sliding kit. The latest mechanic who specializes in Lexus/Toyota said the caliper has been seized (pins).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links