Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Symbol on infotainment screen

On 12/17/2022 at 6:34 PM, Herbie said:

Aha, right.

It does indeed sound like the man from the AA is correct and that the 12V battery has stood around too long. Given that you've only had the car a week, I would be inclined to get it back to the dealer for replacement under warranty. If you want any 'ammo' to back you up, just go to any garage or car accessory shop that sells batteries and ask them to do a load test on it. It'll only take a couple of minutes and is usually done free of charge (ha, see what I did there? Free of charge? I'll get me coat :laughing: ).

Put your mind at rest about the hybrid battery. They're almost bulletproof and many cars are doing 250k miles+ still on the original one.

Hybrids don't have a starter motor or an alternator and the way it works is that when you press the Start button, the 12V battery boots the computers, pressurises the brakes and gets the car into READY mode (hybrid system running). When the petrol engine is needed the hybrid system energises MG1 which spins the engine up to 1,000rpm, at which point it supplies fuel and spark to fire it. Going 'the other way' so to speak, the high voltage traction battery (288V if I remember correctly) feeds into a DC/DC converter, which then supplies 12V to run the 12V systems such as lights, radio etc., as well as charging the 12V battery.

One thing to point out is that when you are doing anything like cleaning the car interior and you have doors open and maybe listening to the radio, always put the car into READY mode so that the engine will fire up as and when needed to keep the batteries charged.

Lots of great advice Here Herb.. Many Thanks.. Learned some things i just didn,t know ..!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jagman said:

Just worth noting if you’re parking in the street in London.

Make sure you have the anti can bus theft plates installed by Lexus ,if not already done.

Its free of charge.

Hi,

Do you know if these protective plates are being fitted for free on the 3rd Gen cars and is this offer restricted to London area?  Thanks.

I’m not sure that 3rd gen cars are susceptible to the can bus theft.

Hope someone comes along with a definitive answer (cos mine’s a 3rd gen)

47 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Do you know if these protective plates are being fitted for free on the 3rd Gen cars and is this offer restricted to London area?  Thanks.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:51 AM, Southern Aston said:

Hi @ColinBarber, @Herbie 

Just coming back to this. I’m considering getting a ‘maintenance’ charger for the 12v in my RX450HL to keep it topped up. As opposed to a jump starter. Unfortunately I’ve only on street parking so cannot charge from the mains. Just wondered if you’re aware of a trickle charger that I can charge from mains in the house and then attach to the 12V in the car to recharge the 12v. As you can tell I’ve not much know how on the practical stuff! 

Many thanks 

Personally I went for a solar Battery charger that plugs into the OBD port (it's on the drivers side under the dash)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084M5ZL5L

So far results have been good (I frequently don't drive the car for a couple of weeks) but I suspect my Battery is getting a bit middle aged so the Lexus Link phone app no longer ever displays the Battery in the green zone. (To be fair it rarely moves out of the middle)

When the Battery was regularly showing in the green in the app I left it for a month with the charger plugged in while on holiday and the Battery was still showing green when I came back (this was during the summer so best case for the charger). I'm never totally sure how well it works during the winter months but so far no issues.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links