Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys/girls,

Managed to buy a bargain lexus IS250 Petrol Automatic 2005 with 112k miles on it. 

I've been wanting this car for long time and just couldn't hold back from buying this.

After driving for few days the engine management sign came up. RAC did a diagnostic test and came with attached codes.

Any idea if I change both banks will problems be finished or is this something to do with the timing change . It's a V6 so labour would be over a grand not something I want to fork out at this moment.

Any help will be much appreciated coz can't afford more hiccups .

Recorded DTC information

RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM

System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES

Name: 4GR-FSE - DIAGNOSE

DTC: P0335,Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

DTC: P0340,Camshaft position sensor circuit, fault DTC: P0345,Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2) DTC: P0365,Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 1) DTC: P0390, Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 2)

DTC: B2799,Engine immobiliser

Thank you in advance 

Was it bought from a dealer?, if so then take it back from them to resolve - its so easy these days to buy a car that has existing issues with and masking them by clearing the codes with an OBD II scanner for them to return a day or so after taking it off the forecourt or after changing hands ...

Someone with a bit more knowledge on this will answer it better but that issue seems a bit more than wear and tear to me?

• Like 2

Before changing sensors, check the wiring looms to them very carefully and check the engine and Battery connections and earths.

Too many faults there for sensors to be the real cause - there will be something central and simple causing all the DTCs

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nislam16 said:

Hi guys/girls,

Managed to buy a bargain lexus IS250 Petrol Automatic 2005 with 112k miles on it. 

I've been wanting this car for long time and just couldn't hold back from buying this.

After driving for few days the engine management sign came up. RAC did a diagnostic test and came with attached codes.

Any idea if I change both banks will problems be finished or is this something to do with the timing change . It's a V6 so labour would be over a grand not something I want to fork out at this moment.

Any help will be much appreciated coz can't afford more hiccups .

Recorded DTC information

RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM

System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES

Name: 4GR-FSE - DIAGNOSE

DTC: P0335,Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

DTC: P0340,Camshaft position sensor circuit, fault DTC: P0345,Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2) DTC: P0365,Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 1) DTC: P0390, Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 2)

DTC: B2799,Engine immobiliser

Thank you in advance 

Like John said, this is likely to be Battery / power related. Check the grounds, try a different Battery, move onto the alternator.

• Like 1

Well that sounds about right for bargain car... and I am not being cheeky - I got myself a bargain IS250 last year and still working out kinks to this day. That was copart so returning it wasn't an option and I feel bad breaking it for parts. 

B2799 - very likely Battery code, because if immobiliser does not get 5V then it will give this code. As well it is likely because if you genuinely had B2799 then car would not start, I had it and I had to replace immobiliser, steering lock, keys and smart key module (that is the only way, they must be matching modules or new).

The rest of the codes - again if you genuinely had those codes car would not start at all. If camshaft position sensor is disconnected then as a failsafe mode starter is disabled. Besides you have codes on all 4 sensors at once which is nearly impossible to be true. So again - either you have false flag... or you may have faulty wiring or faulty ECU. I have replaced wiring on my car - trust me you don't want to get involved with that, new wiring harness £1600 assuming you could find one to buy (got myself used one for £120, but after 6 months I still don't know if it is even good)... the job itself - I would not do it again for any money so you likely won't find electrician who would even agree to do it. 

First option is to contact seller and get the seller to resolve the issues if you can. Trust me that is the best option here if you have it (I bought car from copart knowing the risks and I did not have that option). From what you described above it could be anything... literally from £250 for a sensor to full on replacement of half of ECUs for £5000+... or just false alarm due to low voltage.

Second option - check battery/alternator, clear the codes and hope for the best. In theory it could be the case that car was sitting for some time, Battery voltage got low and the real cause for codes is just "low voltage flag". Note - this is pure lottery, it is likely all things considered, but no means guaranteed. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links