Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Key Fob

Im wondering if anyone has the same issue as me. I am curreently having to chnage the Battery in my key fob every 7 to 10 days. I am aware that they key fob is always transmitting and I have tried putting it to sleep using the instructions in my manuel, but it doesnt make any difference. I have also tried yo keep the fob seperate from my phone and wallet as I think it also interfears with these.

I did rase with my local Lexus dealer who really didnt have any answers, but it would be useful to know if anyone else is having this issue and if so if yu have found a way to cure it? I think oterwise I will be invoicing Lexus for the large number of batteries I am getting through.

12 minutes ago, MRH said:

Im wondering if anyone has the same issue as me. I am curreently having to chnage the battery in my key fob every 7 to 10 days. I am aware that they key fob is always transmitting and I have tried putting it to sleep using the instructions in my manuel, but it doesnt make any difference. I have also tried yo keep the fob seperate from my phone and wallet as I think it also interfears with these.

I did rase with my local Lexus dealer who really didnt have any answers, but it would be useful to know if anyone else is having this issue and if so if yu have found a way to cure it? I think oterwise I will be invoicing Lexus for the large number of batteries I am getting through.

Not heard of this issue coming up on the forum so would suggest something is not right.

I presume you have two keys. Does the Battery drain apply to both?

Yes have two fobs, the second carried by my wife and not used as much as mine, but I have to chnage the Battery in that one not as frequently but still more often than you would expect ie once a month.

23 minutes ago, MRH said:

Im wondering if anyone has the same issue as me. I am curreently having to chnage the battery in my key fob every 7 to 10 days. I am aware that they key fob is always transmitting and I have tried putting it to sleep using the instructions in my manuel, but it doesnt make any difference. I have also tried yo keep the fob seperate from my phone and wallet as I think it also interfears with these.

Perhaps your dealer should try to find out what the problem could be! This is not normal and they know that.

Or ask them to replace the key fobs as they are clearly faulty, again this is clearly not normal behaviour.

• Like 1

Yes I ave a service coming up and it is on my list to raise with them, but thought I would reach out first to see if the issues is a common one, or just limited to me. Thanks

3 minutes ago, MRH said:

Yes I ave a service coming up and it is on my list to raise with them, but thought I would reach out first to see if the issues is a common one, or just limited to me. Thanks

I would expect a normal key fob Battery to last at least 18 to 24 months, sometimes more.

Lexus recommend changing every two years, so your experience is clearly not normal and indicates a fault.

Over to the dealer.

• Like 1

I had a similar - but not as drastic an issue with the key fob I use. I've only used the one fob since I got the car (1st March 2022). It stopped working in October so when I took the car in for the last recall, I complained that I'd never had a car where the Battery only lasted 7-8 months.

They just changed the Battery and its worked ever since.

Has anyone else had to change batteries yet?

Thanks Alan. Even changing every 7 or 8 months is more than I have ever had to do with other makes of car.

This is for the dealer, I thought if others had the same issue, it at the very least was a design fault but seems to be just me, so Lexus can investigate and sort it.

• Like 2

Hi, I am having exactly the same issue as MRH,so at least it is not just me being unlucky!

Will see what the dealer says when I return there  next week,as  the other posts say there is obviously a deeper issue here rather that just  continually replacing the Battery.

I,ll advise of the outcome.

• Like 1

Would be interested to know if you place the Key fobs ( both ) in a Faraday pouch Does this make any difference..I would think not as there is an endemic problem Which is depleting the charge in the key fobs. It can only come from the car settings.But cant think what could be doing this..It would APPEAR That the car is in permanent contact with the key fob but what application within the settings is the culprit ? I Have the same car as you and have never experienced this problem..Hope you get to the bottom of this..Really Frustrating.!!!!    Not unless that particular batch of key fobs are at the root of this.. Possibly.!!! If The garage cant find the problem i would insist they order you a new key fob Suggest you give your Wifes fob back to the supplier who manufactures them to enable them to check for any faults...Hope that helps....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Like the colour of your lexus Alex.. I Have the velvet black NX300h 2020 Have you experienced Water droplets dripping into the cabin on a really cold and frosty Day ? Has only happened once.!!!

No never, dripping into the cabin from where?

9 hours ago, Graham Leese said:

Hi, I am having exactly the same issue as MRH,so at least it is not just me being unlucky!

Will see what the dealer says when I return there  next week,as  the other posts say there is obviously a deeper issue here rather that just  continually replacing the battery.

I,ll advise of the outcome.

Ah, I'm not alone with this problem, but it doesn't seem to be very common though. So maybe it is a bad batch of key fobs, but still one for the dealership to investigate.

14 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

No never, dripping into the cabin from where?

Appears to have come from the windscreen as it was defrosting Has only happened once ..so could be the defrost settings that were active at the time.. But worth a mention..

• 4 weeks later...

My main key stopped working yesterday and it appears that the Battery has died after just 5 months... Very strange, especially as I've been turning off the constant signal when parked up at home. 

Unlike my previous Lexus, this fob doesn't have a slot for the manual key to go in so you can prise it open, so anyone know how you open these new ones?

23 minutes ago, Caspa said:

My main key stopped working yesterday and it appears that the battery has died after just 5 months... Very strange, especially as I've been turning off the constant signal when parked up at home. 

Unlike my previous Lexus, this fob doesn't have a slot for the manual key to go in so you can prise it open, so anyone know how you open these new ones?

The keys with the latest CT, slide apart. Almost broke the key trying to prise it apart following the videos.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

The keys with the latest CT, slide apart. Almost broke the key trying to prise it apart following the videos.

You're a star mate! 

• Thanks 1

My key certainly looks different from the pics in the manual once the “key part” is removed. Can anyone explain which way it slides to get to the Battery, tried all ways and it doesn’t want to budge.

Also, for those who have changed the Battery, did you get any warning that the Battery in the fob was low?

2 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

My key certainly looks different from the pics in the manual once the “key part” is removed. Can anyone explain which way it slides to get to the battery, tried all ways and it doesn’t want to budge.

Also, for those who have changed the battery, did you get any warning that the battery in the fob was low?

You need to remove the mechanical key part then the back of the key can be slid sideways away from the silver/grey spine to access Battery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggie said:

You need to remove the mechanical key part then the back of the key can be slid sideways away from the silver/grey spine to access battery.

Thank you Tony, much appreciated, it is so easy when you know how🤔

I had taken the mechanical key out but was trying to slide it from top to bottom as per the key on my previous RX🙄

10 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

My key certainly looks different from the pics in the manual once the “key part” is removed. Can anyone explain which way it slides to get to the battery, tried all ways and it doesn’t want to budge.

Also, for those who have changed the battery, did you get any warning that the battery in the fob was low?

Nope, no warning whatsoever. Work from home so been turning off the signal after the morning childminder run, and it simply didn't come back on the morning I was heading out early to the office for a client lunch.

5 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Thank you Tony, much appreciated, it is so easy when you know how🤔

I had taken the mechanical key out but was trying to slide it from top to bottom as per the key on my previous RX🙄

Same, was like the RX or anything before it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links