Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h to NX450h

Hi, looking at opinions of people who have moved from RX450h to NX450h as I am due to downsize (RX large, smaller family etc).   I test drive one at the weekend, drivewise car seems to be a little slower (Battery empty) not as smooth (no V6) and not quite as comfortable but not a massive amount in either of them.  I think the colour options are mostly meh whereas the RX I do like, but appreciate thats mostly personal.  Techwise much improved, night and day.

What do those that have moved think after using for a while, any regrets or things you preferred in the RX.

Thanks

I love my RX450h, but I had the chance to try a NX 450h (plugin) while waiting for a fast service  intervention, and I had positive and negative feelings comparing the two cars.

NX , expecially in EV mode, was faster and really quiet,  the stiffer chassis improved driveability, and infotainment (compared to my 2016 RX) is now up to date; even fuel consumption is far better in hybrid mode, but if you plan to use gasoline and not to charge electric, NX Hybrid has more sense (even with a little worse 0-60 time). The suggestion is for a NON Fsport choice.

And now, the bad: even if in most of time (more than in RX) engine is off (and then silent), when it goes on the sound is of 4 cyl, very silenced but different from V6 in RX. The question is: what I would do if I had the need to change my RX? Probably I would buy a NX450h, not needing more space and considering new RX has a four banger too, but at the moment I don't need  , so I may wait new models, and sparing money (not irrelevant topic).

• Thanks 1

I made the move last year for very similar reasons to yourself, although the decision was mainly driven by my wife who wanted a smaller car. She always found the RX to be a bit on the large size for the narrow country lanes around where we live.

I would pretty much agree with your assessment after your test drive with the exception of your “a little slower” view, I find the NX450h a little quicker if you take it out of eco mode. The tech still has some limitations.

Overall my preference is still the RX for the reasons which you state but the one big upside of the NX450h is the much better fuel economy, even in petrol only mode on long journeys. The 4cyl engine is not as refined as the 6cyl one in the RX but it isn’t far behind and is still much more refined than most 4cyl engines. However, the CV box does seem to be more refined over the 2018 RX we had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Richolf said:

Hi, looking at opinions of people who have moved from RX450h to NX450h as I am due to downsize (RX large, smaller family etc).   I test drive one at the weekend, drivewise car seems to be a little slower (battery empty) not as smooth (no V6) and not quite as comfortable but not a massive amount in either of them.  I think the colour options are mostly meh whereas the RX I do like, but appreciate thats mostly personal.  Techwise much improved, night and day.

What do those that have moved think after using for a while, any regrets or things you preferred in the RX.

Thanks

I had the choice between an RX450h L  (seven seat long wheelbase) and the NX300h. I loved the boot space in the RX and the overall quality. As Paul says, it was the wife that finally made the choice due to size. With the Premium pack, the NX had all the features I would need and more. I seriously considered an electric car but reading various posts on the subject I decided to play safe. I basically did not want to give up the quality and reliability I have become accustomed. It will be interesting to compare my RX 400h with the NX.

• Thanks 1

I'm another who has gone from an RX450h to an NX450h, and no regrets for me. 

Lexus is my brand of choice and when I needed something family oriented a couple of years back the RX was the only option as I did not like the old NX interior at all, and wasn't that keen on the exterior either. 

Came from an RC so didn't enjoy driving the RX anywhere near as much, and wasn't keen on the body roll, but couldn't really fault it otherwise (was used to the old infotainment system). Definitely didn't need something as big though, and so was very interested in the new NX, and specifically the 450h as majority of my driving is local and so fits the profile for a plugin hybrid. 

The NX has brought the driving enjoyment back for me and with a little over 2k on the clock now, I seem to be averaging about 1k miles per tank. 

I'm loving the new tech which has been a long time coming for Lexus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links