Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

We spent Xmas and New Year in the Scottish Mountains. It was really cold and, on the morning of our departure, I found the car cocooned in ice. I managed to gain entry and the car started normally - but with a load of warning lights and messages. I had the Master Warning light; Check VSC; Check ABS; Check AFS messages and the anti-skid and abs warning lights were illuminated. Just what I needed the day I was driving to the ferry terminal a North Shields!

I thought it might be a Battery problem and called into the local indy to get it checked. He reckoned the the Battery was fine. The car drove OK so I decided to set off for the ferry. I had no problems at all but, as soon as we docked in Amsterdam, I drove to my Lexus dealer. He did a quick diagnosis and confirmed the car was safe to drive. He tried a couple of resets but it made no difference. I booked the car in for a full diagnosis and they had it for two days this week. 

The problem turned out to a simple ABS sensor. They fitted a new one and I picked the car up yesterday afternoon. The total cost was 301 euro (£263). 

The reason I mention this is because we ALL have, at least, ABS on our LS models and failure of, either, an ABS or Speed sensor can cause these problems.

This is the first component failure I've had in the 10 years I've had the 460, it has 137,000 miles on the clock.  I did change the radiator, as a precaution, at 100,000 miles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sort of interesting that the management system lights teh dahsboard up like a Xmas tree.

Surely would be better if there was a little part of the display that read the data from the control unit and delivered a specific message 'in you case check ABS' so  that at least you knew not half the car was about to give up the ghost.

Best of luck for the next 137,000 miles

• Like 1

i sympathise with your Xmas tree light-ups here .  it's all so frustrating BUT at least you now have the cure and hopes all is well for the future

I've had similar for a couple of years on my 56 plate Honda Legend 146k miles now  and the thoughts are it's a sensor somewhere down in the gearbox ....  the car drives well and is safe and happy to drive  .  I'm living with the " lights-up " effect as the MOT Tester guy just acknowledges it's an old car, drives well and no safety issues AND it might cost me two arms and legs to " fix "  .  just to stop the lights-up effect 

These later cars with all this technology are just such a waste of time  .  my old and revered Ls400 on 243k miles just plods on, and on, and on and never ( well hardly ever ) a murmur out of place  ......  after nearly 12 years with me and 120k miles too 

I had thought to buy a Ls460 or a Ls600 but not really seeing any perceptible advantage over my existing steeds .......... the Honda Legend being a " new " car  . had her 6 years now ..  is enough for me with all those impossible Xmas Tree lights all the time 

The comfort and reliability level of both cars is just so good and keeps me happy ........ and the bank manager too 

I'm thinking to get the new hydrogen Ls700 when they invent it and bring her to the masses 

Malc

I find it hilarious that Toyota feel that they have to "light-up" the dashboard for what is a minor sensor failure. I had the same when my O2 sensor had a minor issue with it's pre-heater and when I had a tiny exhaust leak in the Y-pipe. For these insignificant issues it disables VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) and all kinds of other systems which is stupid and dangerous. I understand that too many idiots ignore the dash warning lights and then act surprised when their engine detonates but this is over-compensation.
For a failed Front/Right ABS sensor I would have the dash show in RED "ABS sensor failure F/R. Braking will be affected" and disable ABS for that one wheel.
That way you know what is broken and can drive accordingly.

All the manufacturers seem to design their error codes to force you to go to their dealers and they design them to panic the owner into getting a minor issue fixed IMMEDIATELY!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:18 PM, BigBoomer said:

I find it hilarious that Toyota feel that they have to "light-up" the dashboard for what is a minor sensor failure. I had the same when my O2 sensor had a minor issue with it's pre-heater and when I had a tiny exhaust leak in the Y-pipe. For these insignificant issues it disables VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) and all kinds of other systems which is stupid and dangerous. I understand that too many idiots ignore the dash warning lights and then act surprised when their engine detonates but this is over-compensation.
For a failed Front/Right ABS sensor I would have the dash show in RED "ABS sensor failure F/R. Braking will be affected" and disable ABS for that one wheel.
That way you know what is broken and can drive accordingly.

All the manufacturers seem to design their error codes to force you to go to their dealers and they design them to panic the owner into getting a minor issue fixed IMMEDIATELY!

commonly known as **** blue lights syndrome

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links