Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Door button not working in cold weather

Hi, my NX 450+ door button on drivers door will not operate in cold weather. Dealer(LexusReading UK ) says to pour warm water over the handle as it is probably frozen. Yes it might be but all the other doors operate as expected. Is this a common fault out there as suggested buy the dealer (It is Minus 5 Celsius at present)

Additionally the drivers instrument screen failed to operate after the first instance last friday the 20th January. 

Andy thoughts?

26 minutes ago, HOOVER1 said:

Hi, my NX 450+ door button on drivers door will not operate in cold weather. Dealer(LexusReading UK ) says to pour warm water over the handle as it is probably frozen. Yes it might be but all the other doors operate as expected. Is this a common fault out there as suggested buy the dealer (It is Minus 5 Celsius at present)

Additionally the drivers instrument screen failed to operate after the first instance last friday the 20th January. 

Andy thoughts?

Freezing temps and electronics aren't best pals, so malfunctions can happen. I've never come across the door buttons not working in my much older IS (one would think they share the same buttons and everything), but it's been mentioned before in regards to the newer cars. As for the instrument cluster - I don't know because this would be different to my IS, however my friend's brother recently got a brand new Audi A3 company car and he had the same issue when it was freezing out - I suppose that might be a semi-common issue for that kind of fully digital instrument clusters. Like I said, freezing weather and electronics don't get on that well.. nevertheless, it shouldn't happen, you paid a lot for your car. What did Lexus say about that? Did they suggest warm water too?... (what a silly suggestion) 

Frozen door buttons on the new NX has been reported numerous times on this forum. Lexus has gone over to a rubber covered button as opposed to the hall effect on previous models. Apparently due to the new door handles not pulling out as all previous models.

20 minutes ago, HOOVER1 said:

Andy thoughts?

Regarding the frozen button there has already been a thread regarding it.  Basically in cold weather the pressure pad inside the door handle has a tendency to freeze and not work. You do need to warm it up by friction from fingers or use something warm to defrost.  I have found for some reason my rear offside passenger door never fails to work but all others do.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links