Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Energy Costs

flotsam

14 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I keep being tempted to buy an air fryer

I was impressed that it can do brill cheese on toast  BUT  that's only after the bread has been pre-toasted in the toaster tho'  😅

oh, and i use Waitrose own label grade 6 cheddar when i can find a Waitrose 

Malc

On 2/6/2023 at 5:54 PM, Malc1 said:

someone saying that a gas cooker / stove is best for cooking and expense of running ??

I've been looking for a 1960's one for a few years now to replace my old electric cooker

How the overall running costs compare I have no idea  ....  but I would still buy a 1960's gas stove with an eye level grill if i could find a sensible one local'ish ( Sheppey anyone ? ) 

Malc

Have you considered the slightly newer gas cookers, with a double oven instead of eye level grill?

I have one, probably 15 years old by now, which is fairly basic, ie knobs instead of digital controls. The grill isn't eye level, it's just a smaller oven space above the main oven, which still has the overhead grill flame and grill pan, but also an oven flame at the back. This not only means that you can use it like an old fashioned grill/toaster, but also use the smaller oven space for cooking, which saves on gas.

Not sure how much it saves, but I cook most things in the smaller oven now.

I cleaned my built in single gas oven today. Replaced the grills for shiny new ones. It looks really nice now but I still won't use it coz gas ovens are wasteful of gas.

Oh Malc. The only Ninja I know of is the Kawasaki Ninjas 🤣

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

They're a motorbike

Really,  Argos don't sell them these days  .  hang-on a week or two and Sainsbury's might be selling them in mainstream stores too  😅

Malc

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 9:35 PM, Mr Vlad said:

I cleaned my built in single gas oven today. Replaced the grills for shiny new ones. It looks really nice now but I still won't use it coz gas ovens are wasteful of gas.

Oh Malc. The only Ninja I know of is the Kawasaki Ninjas 🤣

I just use wire wool on mine because I'm poor.

• 3 weeks later...

Quotas have been imposed on fruit and veg. This looks like the scene in the movie, The Sting, where they use the "shut out". The mobster arrives too late at the betting booth to lay his bet. So the next time, he panics and places his bet without even thinking. Panic buying may mean you don't even look at the price.

The quota doesn't even make sense. You can buy the limit of three, then drop your shopping in the car and go back in or go to another store to buy the same again.

Panic buying of toilet paper during the Covid-19 lockdown would mean you might buy more expensive loo rolls.

The lockdown now looks like a trial-run for when we "own nothing and are happy". In other words, when we no longer have cars and don't travel.

The quotas on fruit n veg is because of shortages. Spain and Italy, where most of the fruit n veg come from, have suffered with bad crops because of weather. 

I work in the fruit n veg industry and i keep in touch with the wholesalers I use to work for. 

Yes it's nonsense that you can buy 3 of whatever then put them in your car and go back in store and do it again. 

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

because of shortages. Spain and Italy, where most of the fruit n veg come from

did my latest Aldi sellophane ? wrapped cucumber come from Ecuador  .  or have i imagined that ?

Malc

The Telegraph reports that the gas grid will have plastic pipes installed for hydrogen. The article also claims boilers will be hydrogen ready by 2026. Yaaaaay!

So what was all that marlackey about banning boilers?

You know what Samantha you're right. What's all the malarkey about. I've seen articles saying  that those plastic pipes aren't up to the job for hydrogen as the particles are so much smaller than natural gas that hydrogen can seep through the plastic. Geez there's too much negatively towards anything nowadays. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'vre read two articles now about how to save on energy costs; one from the Independent and one from the Telegraph. Neither mentioned induction hobs.

I've had a ceramic pan for a few years but could never fry burgers; only boil them. Now it works fine on the induction hob. In fact, I have to turn it right down to the lowest setting of 200W as burgers need to be cooked right through without burning the outside.

All the ceramic pans I've seen in the shops are induction ready. But whereas they claim they're suitable for all hob types. They're only good for induction and probably gas.

Clearly, the propaganda wants you to invest in solar panels and wind turbines. You're supposed to buy an EV and heat pumps, only to then get a GINORMOUS bill for electricity. So a light bulb appears above your head and switches on and "all by yourself" you figure it would be a good Idea to get solar panels and wind turbines.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:14 AM, Mr Vlad said:

You know what Samantha you're right. What's all the malarkey about. I've seen articles saying  that those plastic pipes aren't up to the job for hydrogen as the particles are so much smaller than natural gas that hydrogen can seep through the plastic. Geez there's too much negatively towards anything nowadays. 

Town gas was partly hydrogen. Are we supposed to believe the hydrogen molecules couldn't get past the methane molecules and escape?

3 hours ago, flotsam said:

I'vre read two articles now about how to save on energy costs; one from the Independent and one from the Telegraph. Neither mentioned induction hobs.

I've had a ceramic pan for a few years but could never fry burgers; only boil them. Now it works fine on the induction hob. In fact, I have to turn it right down to the lowest setting of 200W as burgers need to be cooked right through without burning the outside.

All the ceramic pans I've seen in the shops are induction ready. But whereas they claim they're suitable for all hob types. They're only good for induction and probably gas.

Clearly, the propaganda wants you to invest in solar panels and wind turbines. You're supposed to buy an EV and heat pumps, only to then get a GINORMOUS bill for electricity. So a light bulb appears above your head and switches on and "all by yourself" you figure it would be a good Idea to get solar panels and wind turbines.

So does that work then?

Do you place the burgers directly on the solar panel to cook,  and the wind turbine cools the outside so they don't burn? 🙂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links