Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing VSV for ACIS

Tomtit

I have just replaced the vacuum switching valve for ACIS. The engine management light was on and it generated fault code P1651. I had to sort this out before booking it in for the M.O.T.

For anyone who fancies tackling this, removing the intake manifold to get to the valve is not a 5 minute job. The workshop manual procedure involves draining the coolant and disconnecting the fuel supply pipe in the engine bay. I managed it without doing these jobs. There is just enough clearance. The first picture shows things held out of the way. The second shows the sensor - the brick red coloured part near the centre of the picture. Lifting the intake manifold in and out is heavy work; ideally you need a helper but I did not have one. I used 2 small straps fed under the manifold and held together at the top. By kneeling on the plank I was able to get myself above the centre of the manifold and use the straps to help lift the manifold up and away. It is tight but it can be done. I did the job over 2 days. The engine management light is now out and the engine runs fine. It is not a job for the faint-hearted.

vsv 001.JPG

vsv 003.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi Richard

Well done for sorting that complex problem out. As you say, it was not a job for the faint hearted! 

It just shows what the right parts, equipment, knowledge and a good dollop of bravery can achieve!

Thanks for sharing your experience of what you did with pictures. 

Anthony

Anthony.

I have learned a lot from the forum and I am happy to give something back. I wanted to pass on the benefit of my experience to anyone who fancied tackling this job. A year or two ago I did the same job on the LS430 and I followed the workshop manual to the letter. I put everything back together, started the engine and found that I had a coolant leak. Whilst struggling to line up the inlet manifold with the studs I must have caught a metal coolant pipe behind the manifold and fractured it at the joint. I could not access the pipe with the manifold in situ and I had to do virtually the whole job again to access the broken part and replace it. I have some experience of this job and If anyone needs some tips or advice I would be happy to pass them on.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

Berto.

The part no. for the SC430 is 25860 46010. The part for the 2002 LS430 (same engine) is 25860 50121. I suppose either one will be OK for your car. You could check the amayama website to be sure.

I did replace the intake manifold gaskets. With all the work involved I did not want to have to do it all again in the event of a leak.

I hope you have somewhere warm to do the job away from the current sub-zero temperatures. Good luck.

Richard.

• 2 months later...

Just had my VSV done, guy had never done one before and was up for a challenge.

He rang me 4 hours later to say it was all done.

He  used the process from Tomtit, 👍👍

For info, the valve and 2 new inlet gaskets cost £200 from Lexus.

IMG_2257.jpeg

9afc967f-e840-4976-99cb-a0a5c6f57e88.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ59 said:

Just had my VSV done, guy had never done one before and was up for a challenge.

He rang me 4 hours later to say it was all done.

He  used the process from Tomtit, 👍👍

For info, the valve and 2 new inlet gaskets cost £200 from Lexus.

IMG_2257.jpeg

9afc967f-e840-4976-99cb-a0a5c6f57e88.jpeg

I hope my post was useful. For anyone wishing to source their own parts, the VSV was £55.12 from Amayama (genuine Toyota part) and the gaskets were £33.14 for the pair from Rockauto.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links