Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d Limp Home Mode Issues

Hi, 

First time posting here, long time IS220d owner, having some issues with the car going in to limp home mode. 

A few weeks ago I accelerated to 4000 revs in second hear and the car went in to limp home mode. I've taken the car to my local garage and they've managed to reset it, so the car is running normally again. They also got a diagnostic reading that said the issue was related to the fuel delivery system. The garage thought it could be the fuel injectors, but having spoken to Lexus they think that's unlikely, because I've driven the car quite a bit since and it hasn't come back.

I had a similar issue previously, but it was the dpf filter that was to blame, and that showed up in the diagnostics. Lexus ran a forced regeneration and that seemed to fix the problem.

Was just hoping that someone might have had a similar experience and could offer some advice, I'd really like to keep my car, but not ideal to not know exactly where the issue is coming from and what might need fixing

Without knowing what code cause the limp home mode it is nearly impossible to tell. Could have been anything.

I guess for the future - get cheap OBD2 scanner with phone app and if it happens again at least you will know where to look. 

Hello Arthur. So you've had this car a long time. Have you had any issues with in this time? If this is your very first experience of getting into limp mode then things might just be starting to wear. How old is the car and how many miles has it covered? By long time how long have you had it? I'm assuming you take it to Lexus for yearly servicing. 

Maybe it's DPF related again. If Lexus did a forced regeneration then I have to assume you drive the car very very gently and short distances. If that is the case then you have to once a week take it on a 40-50 motorway drive. Do 70mph in 4th gear for a good 10 miles. Maybe even 3rd gear. I think you are choking the car and diesel isn't for you.

Could well be clogged fuel filter, commonly they're not changed often enough on IS as they are a pain to access.

Although usually this doesn't leave you stuck in limp home mode, it's just a transitory issue.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links