Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h SE-i 2010 Rust Protection

My new car has had only one previous owner its whole life which was great! ..however.. that owner has lived in Scotland haha so the underneath of the car is a little rusted. Does anyone know a reliable and relatively not too costly service to protect the car's parts?

I found https://www.rust.co.uk/product/half-day-rust-proofing-service-price-list/ but I think a half day with my Lexus will be about £350

Thank you!

IMG_6184.JPEG

IMG_6185.JPEG

IMG_6186.JPEG

IMG_6187.JPEG

IMG_6188.JPEG

IMG_6189.JPEG

IMG_6192.JPEG

IMG_6194.JPEG

IMG_6195.JPEG

IMG_6196.JPEG

IMG_6197.JPEG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

If it’s a foam/polystyrene material it could be off the “energy absorber” inside the bumper cover, if not I would wear gloves before touching it 😀

77846608-45D7-4FC9-8530-ED4C5B44C9A6.jpeg

haha oh really ? I have reached a finger through the gap to try to get it out, feels like its metal, I will look at some screws on the underneath to remove the tray to get at it

54 minutes ago, katabrontes said:

This rust looks pretty bad to me.  It is quite deep in places where important structural components are attached.

What did the last MoT say about it?

Do you think this would cause noise on the suspension, I am going to take a video tomorrow of the noise I get from rear going over speed bumps etc. that I thought may be springs needing lubing or replacing. I agree it did worry me looking which is why I wanted to get it seen to asap with a good clean and protection service, the MOT had no advisories and was a pass, although the advisory about the steering wheel is interesting as I get a clicking noise when I do a full turn with the wheel?

Screenshot 2023-03-08 000804.jpg

I would say from the pictures that it would take more than the half day job that you linked to. There looks to be a couple of holes in one of the pictures that woud need to be addressed, so you'd need somewhere that would not only clean things up, but also remove any existing rust and fix where necessary before treating. Most places I've seen would need a couple of days for that, partly so it could dry properly after cleaning and before treating. Cost for that would likely be north of £700. I know this place isn't near you, and I have no idea how good they are, but I've added the link to give you an idea of what's involved and an idea of costs (prices quoted are ex vat I think):

https://www.cskautomotive.co.uk/the-rust-prevention-centre/

I'd also suggest removing the wheel arch liners (at least the rear ones, which are easier) to see what it's like there. It will also let you check (nearside rear) if the fuel filler pipe and brake lines are corroded or not.

It's possible that the cleaning and rustproofing would lube the suspension and cure the suspension noise, I know that spraying ACF-50 on the underside of mine silenced any creaks. Either way I'd wait it till it was rustproofed before dealing with that.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, I will contact to have the underbody of the car checked out to hear how bad the condition is that it's in and whether I can just maintain it yearly myself 🙂

I would want to brush off the surface rust and treat it with Kurust or something similar, then spray with Lanoguard. 

Reading the Lanogaurd website - you can spray it on your exhaust but not the manifold.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links