Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ incompatibility with BP Pulse chargers

Has anyone had difficulty charging their NX450h+ on BP Pulse chargers?

I have never managed to get one to work despite trying about 4/5 at different locations.

The car is working fine and will charge at home or on other chargers both tethered and using the cable with the car. I have contacted Chargeplace Scotland several times whilst trying to charge with no success despite them rebooting the charger or initiating the charge. I know the chargers are not faulty as other drivers with Kia's or VW's have come in after me and got charged.

Is this a known compatibility issue?

As far as I understand the pulse chargers are CCS DC rapid chargers whereas the 450h+ uses a type 2 AC connector. The CCS has two additional sockets under the part which looks like the one for the 450. 

apologies if you know this and you’ve found pulse chargers with a type 2, all of the ones near me are rapid chargers only as I found out when I looked at them

if you use an app like ZappMap you can filter on the connection type to only show type 2 connectors

Thanks for the replies.

The chargers that I have had problems with are all Type 2. Strangely they are manufactured by BP Pulse and branded as such but do not appear on the BP Pulse app. They are controlled by Chargeplace Scotland and appear on their app and on Zap Map as type 2.

Unfortunately Scotrail seem to have got BP Pulse to have installed all of their chargers so none of the chargers at any train station in Scotland is available. 

BP Pulse have a poor reputation for reliability. I've only tried type 2s myself and only had successful charges about half the time. I've had chargers work one time but not another, work after a reset by customer services, or just not work at all. I even had two that were showing available but customer services knew they were faulty and awaiting parts. I wouldn't be surprised if they randomly didn't work for you and then did when the next person tried (or only worked for certain makes of car, I don't have a Lexus at the moment). I used them as I was staying with my mum and just charge grazing wherever I happened to park doing shopping/chores but they would be low down my list if I was going out of my way for a charge.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:38 PM, SA1 said:

As far as I understand the pulse chargers are CCS DC rapid chargers whereas the 450h+ uses a type 2 AC connector. The CCS has two additional sockets under the part which looks like the one for the 450. 

apologies if you know this and you’ve found pulse chargers with a type 2, all of the ones near me are rapid chargers only as I found out when I looked at them

if you use an app like ZappMap you can filter on the connection type to only show type 2 connectors

Doh, I was looking at Shell Recharge 🤦‍♂️

there’s only 2 sets of pulse near me and they’re horrifically expensive. 
I hope you have more luck with ones near you soon 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links