Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mudflaps, no mudflaps... or smaller ones?

Decisions, decisions...   

7 members have voted

1. 1. How is the IS300h better off?

• WITH the mudflaps
    • WITHOUT the mudflaps

I was in Whitstable yesterday afternoon and in the same car park I spotted this IS300h Premier, which I inspected underneath for tyre wear (yes I get geeky with these things), but then while I was at it, I noticed the mudflaps were smaller! 

...Now, I have been thinking about removing my mudflaps (they're OEM ones, I think)... I find them way too bulky and the car possibly looks better without them? I also have a non-scientific suspicion they hurt my MPG, being so bulky. 

--> So I mostly wanted to ask you people:

1. Has anybody here removed them and then regretted?
  2. Do you know how/where to find these smaller mudflaps? ...LexusPartDirect seems to have the same ones I have, but not any other "alternative" OEM set, and when you look in other places online all you see is a plastic part (out of context) and it is hard to tell....

I thought of leaving a windshield note asking but the way things are these days (people are terrified of one another), the owner would probably think I'm was trying to scam him. 😕

IMG-4512.thumb.jpg.71b573292cfb1bc016af683f85eb7993.jpg

IMG-4513.thumb.JPG.02f1f0e1fbd904ac529d78a9c65dfa32.JPG

57 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

I was in Whitstable yesterday afternoon and in the same car park I spotted this IS300h Premier, which I inspected underneath for tyre wear (yes I get geeky with these things), but then while I was at it, I noticed the mudflaps were smaller! 

...Now, I have been thinking about removing my mudflaps (they're OEM ones, I think)... I find them way too bulky and the car possibly looks better without them? I also have a non-scientific suspicion they hurt my MPG, being so bulky. 

--> So I mostly wanted to ask you people:

1. Has anybody here removed them and then regretted?
  2. Do you know how/where to find these smaller mudflaps? ...LexusPartDirect seems to have the same ones I have, but not any other "alternative" OEM set, and when you look in other places online all you see is a plastic part (out of context) and it is hard to tell....

I thought of leaving a windshield note asking but the way things are these days (people are terrified of one another), the owner would probably think I'm was trying to scam him. 😕

IMG-4512.thumb.jpg.71b573292cfb1bc016af683f85eb7993.jpg

IMG-4513.thumb.JPG.02f1f0e1fbd904ac529d78a9c65dfa32.JPG

I have an advance and it does not have the mudflaps. Speculating here, but I think they might have been an optional extra when buying the car from new (bought mine 2nd hand so don't know for sure!).

In terms of looks, I prefer without, and also if you have them on the front wheel arch, that is metal bodywork, so you wouldn't want all the road grime and salt getting built up down the back of it. Rear one doesn't matter as the bumper is plastic of course. Then the positive is, probably less stone chips, road tar etc. at at rear bases of your wheel arches, although I've not noticed too much build up/damage to my paintwork in this area thus far.

• Thanks 1

I recently purchased a set of eBay & DIY installation, less than £20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174613145212?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pfWVgpugSlK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=m3fnkB75QhS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

In regards to fitting it is a straightforward job:

- Fronts are held on by 1 plastic rivet & a 10mm nut

(Turn the wheels for more access)

- Rears had to take the wheel off to drill a hole held on by 3 screws.

There is a post re mud guards we discussed on the ES300H group.

Highly recommend to fit a clear paint protection film for the front guards where the guard meets the paint on the front wing simply to reduce rubbing or dirt getting trapped causing potential rust long term.

Here are mine fitted.

20230312_140120.jpg

20230312_140134.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 3:09 PM, Mincey said:

Here are the ones which were factory fit to my IS300h

image.png.16ff6ac49ca2a5bf49f429f29f0654bd.png

image.thumb.png.e734199867a011530eabbf28861a9917.png

image.thumb.png.e82d804c2c4fb122715794d02b6c688b.png

Yeah mine are the same ones: the factory fitted ones. But I find them too bulky 😬

I asked at the dealership the other day (took the car in to have the dashcam fitted) and they quoted 140 pounds to remove them, plus they were shocked I wanted to do it  (they said nobody had requested that before) and that removing them would leave some holes from one of the screws holding each of the mudflaps..... So I said I would think about it.
I think longer term I will have them removed but in the meantime I need to find out if there is a clip, peg, plug, or something that could be used to cover the whole left (I asked at the dealership and they said they could not cover them which sounded very odd)

1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Yeah mine are the same ones: the factory fitted ones. But I find them too bulky 😬

I asked at the dealership the other day (took the car in to have the dashcam fitted) and they quoted 140 pounds to remove them, plus they were shocked I wanted to do it  (they said nobody had requested that before) and that removing them would leave some holes from one of the screws holding each of the mudflaps..... So I said I would think about it.
I think longer term I will have them removed but in the meantime I need to find out if there is a clip, peg, plug, or something that could be used to cover the whole left (I asked at the dealership and they said they could not cover them which sounded very odd)

Ask someone who has fitted aftermarket flaps as I'm pretty sure that a plug has to be removed to put one of the screws for the flaps in. If they're like me, they'll have kept the plug 🙂 There are some owners in the ES300 Forum who have put aftermarket flaps on. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

I fitted some after market ones to my ES which involved drilling 2 extra holes in the plastic wheel cover so I bought a bag of push in clips/studs off amazon or eBay for next to nothing and these work perfectly. They could be used quite easily to fill 2 left over holes. Quoting £140 and claiming they don’t know how to push a plastic plug into a hole says to me they don’t want the work

4 hours ago, Derant said:

I fitted some after market ones to my ES which involved drilling 2 extra holes in the plastic wheel cover so I bought a bag of push in clips/studs off Amazon or EBay for next to nothing and these work perfectly. They could be used quite easily to fill 2 left over holes. Quoting £140 and claiming they don’t know how to push a plastic plug into a hole says to me they don’t want the work

True, I thought it was ludicrous that they would give me that....you know what they said when I asked if the hole could be covered? "What the technicians said is that either we leave them on or there will be a hole" ...as in, no alternative sort of thing.

I was deflated to see they treat clients like they're children. Seeing as to how they were addressing the issue, I also concluded they just didn't want to do it and I thought I would ask elsewhere...

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

Ask someone who has fitted aftermarket flaps as I'm pretty sure that a plug has to be removed to put one of the screws for the flaps in. If they're like me, they'll have kept the plug 🙂 There are some owners in the ES300 Forum who have put aftermarket flaps on. 

Thanks 🙂 I'm not 100% sure but i think in the end I will just remove rather than replace 🤔

6 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

True, I thought it was ludicrous that they would give me that....you know what they said when I asked if the hole could be covered? "What the technicians said is that either we leave them on or there will be a hole" ...as in, no alternative sort of thing.

I was deflated to see they treat clients like they're children. Seeing as to how they were addressing the issue, I also concluded they just didn't want to do it and I thought I would ask elsewhere...

Thanks 🙂 I'm not 100% sure but i think in the end I will just remove rather than replace 🤔

I meant ask an ES300h owner who had fitted mudflaps if they had the plug which had to be removed. Sorry for not explaining properly. Edit - I probably got the wrong end of the stick reading threads above. Ignore me, it's for the best.

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

I meant ask an ES300h owner who had fitted mudflaps if they had the plug which had to be removed. Sorry for not explaining properly. Edit - I probably got the wrong end of the stick reading threads above. Ignore me, it's for the best.

Haha no, don't worry, i understood. Don't want to ignore you! 😃 BTW I fitted the dashcam as per your advice and I'm glad I did, hopefully it will never come in handy but it's nice to know I have it there. The app could improve though but I guess it can't be perfect

• Like 2

2 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Im tempted to buy rear mudflaps at the very least, the bottom corner of the arch is starting to look like meteor craters 🙄

Hey are the mudflaps that protective? That may have me change my mind after all....would you have an image of the craters? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Hey are the mudflaps that protective? That may have me change my mind after all....would you have an image of the craters? 🤔

Have the same question. Also is it an easy DIY? I mean id rather not drill holes. Do they not fit into existing wheel arch liner retainer holes? 

Recently i spent half a day washing and waxing my car then did a short trip of 3 miles only to return with the portion just after the wheels covered in crud. Was wondering if a mudguard would help or would it not make much of a difference 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

It slows down the amount of dirt piling up especially during a rainy spell. Go easy on the tyre shine & it stays cleaner for abit longer more noticeable when visiting my local farm for eggs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

It slows down the amount of dirt piling up especially during a rainy spell.

They certainly do!

This was the result of driving on damp A roads for an hour or so…

CB0EDC78-1FBD-42C0-BEF8-D65207972D05.thumb.jpeg.444b255962ec0600ed2746a84e3082d6.jpeg

And I’d washed the car the day before!

So I fitted a set of mudflaps and don’t get this effect anymore.  In similar conditions spray build-up is very light and I can put off another wash for days!

Personally, I don’t find the look of mudflaps a problem - and more attractive than NOT having mudflaps.  I understand that the argument for not fitting as standard is to do with increased drag and fuel consumption.  But that’s not a particular concern of mine - and wasted effort in car washing is!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Notamech said:

Have the same question. Also is it an easy DIY? I mean id rather not drill holes. Do they not fit into existing wheel arch liner retainer holes? 

Recently i spent half a day washing and waxing my car then did a short trip of 3 miles only to return with the portion just after the wheels covered in crud. Was wondering if a mudguard would help or would it not make much of a difference 

Apparently the front ones are easy but for the rear ones you have to remove the wheels! However you do need extra holes apparently.

I have in the work sheets for both on the other computer: will try to upload them later.

12 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

It slows down the amount of dirt piling up especially during a rainy spell. Go easy on the tyre shine & it stays cleaner for abit longer more noticeable when visiting my local farm for eggs.

6 hours ago, LenT said:

They certainly do!

This was the result of driving on damp A roads for an hour or so…

CB0EDC78-1FBD-42C0-BEF8-D65207972D05.thumb.jpeg.444b255962ec0600ed2746a84e3082d6.jpeg

And I’d washed the car the day before!

So I fitted a set of mudflaps and don’t get this effect anymore.  In similar conditions spray build-up is very light and I can put off another wash for days!

Personally, I don’t find the look of mudflaps a problem - and more attractive than NOT having mudflaps.  I understand that the argument for not fitting as standard is to do with increased drag and fuel consumption.  But that’s not a particular concern of mine - and wasted effort in car washing is!

After these two answers plus what @agent_dess menioned, I'm starting to think that maybe I will let them be ..... 🤔 that picture by @LenT suggests they actually do make some difference...

• Like 3

I fit after market flat ones to all my cars, there would be no paint left on the rear arches if we didn't fit them with the roads about here 

The after market moulded ones just don't look great and the genuine are too small.

3 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Thanks bro really useful. Will look for after market mudflaps and use these instructions to try fitting them. I see that the official ones are larger than aftermarket ones. Other than this are there any differences that make the original ones worth it? 

9 hours ago, Notamech said:

Thanks bro really useful. Will look for after market mudflaps and use these instructions to try fitting them. I see that the official ones are larger than aftermarket ones. Other than this are there any differences that make the original ones worth it? 

Not sure but please do upload pics once you fit them, because if they're smaller and more discreet I may swap them over.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:31 AM, Mr_Groundhog said:

Apparently the front ones are easy but for the rear ones you have to remove the wheels! However you do need extra holes apparently.

On the ES you have to drill an extra hole for the rear mud flaps, although it suggests removing the wheel I didn’t. As long as you can get your drill bit to the correct place you will be ok. Drilling a hole though such thin plastic at an angle won’t make any difference to drilling at 90 degrees in this case, the liner is so thin and you are only drilling to allow the thin stem of a push in plug to go through 

I was considering getting this one the front looks straightforward but not sure if this one requires drilling in the rear. 

£12.75  50%OFF | for Lexus IS IS200T IS250 IS350 IS300 IS300H XE30 2014~2023 Mud Flaps Mudguards Splash Fender Guard Front Rear Wheel Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO1gs9m

Good to know that you dont need to remove the wheels as that sounds like a big pain to do. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Notamech said:

I was considering getting this one the front looks straightforward but not sure if this one requires drilling in the rear. 

£12.75  50%OFF | for Lexus IS IS200T IS250 IS350 IS300 IS300H XE30 2014~2023 Mud Flaps Mudguards Splash Fender Guard Front Rear Wheel Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO1gs9m

Good to know that you dont need to remove the wheels as that sounds like a big pain to do. 

Drilling a hole on the edge of the rear bumper is necessary if you want the guard to sit flush the screw will hold it tight.  More to prevent any strange noises or risk of it ripping off should you one day drive off a high kerb etc.

If you have a have a jack taking the rear wheels off is easy providing the nuts haven't been over torqued & the wheel isnt seized onto the hub. If you know how to change out a wheel in the even of a puncture you have nothing to worry about.

Plenty of youtube guides available.

I followed this guide to give me an indication on what to expect before I started. All in less than an hour ob.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links