Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension refresh SC 430 2007, 108,000 miles on it.

2ddesign

Hi has anyone had their front suspension replaced, with original Toyota  parts, to refresh their SC430's front suspension? After 100,000 I think it might need replacing with new.

If so what was the general cost overall for the parts and then fitting?

I had M.O.T. advisories for the ball joints on the front upper arms which were creaking. Mileage 132k. When I took the arms off, the ball joints were dry and rusty. I bought two Delphi arms from e-bay and the noise has gone. Cost of parts: £145. Cost of fitting: nil as I did it myself.

• Like 1

No problems on my latest MOT in February 2023, I had new tyres last year going to 245/45/R18, up on standard 245/40/R18 to give a softer ride!

But the potholes and rough roads in South Wales are still causing the car to bang in the pot holes, all good on smooth motorways.

So all parts must have a life expectancy, so after 108,000 miles I thought upgrade the suspension to new standard parts from Toyota keeping it stock.

Noticed that in the USA they can buy suspension kits, but not from Toyota. 

• Like 2

Front shocks on my first SC had no leaks but felt soft going over speed humps. Fitted a pair of Sachs shocks, made so much positive difference 👍🏻

That car only had 60k on the clock . 

Sadly early and late SC’s shocks are different, not by much but the way the spring seats is a difference diameter.

It’s possible to cross reference part numbers from the States, that’s  what I had to do for the early shock absorbers….or just have a spend up with Lexus 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, 2ddesign said:

Hi has anyone had their front suspension replaced, with original Toyota  parts, to refresh their SC430's front suspension? After 100,000 I think it might need replacing with new.

If so what was the general cost overall for the parts and then fitting?

This is what I am thinking about. There appear to be kits on eBay but the cost varies wildly for what appears to be the same thing and who knows about the quality.  I have the Amayama list and am waiting for a set of SC430 repair manuals to arrive from the US. Once I've got them I will get my normal guys in Gloucester to quote for the work. I recently sourced (on here) a nearly new set of original wheels, this combined with a new set of Michelin Cross-Climate tyres has totally transformed the front end (drives beautifully now) so may hold off depending on the cost.

Oq4XO97gTdyIgjLm8CSogQ.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2ddesign said:

Nick, thank you for your update, great looking SC430!

Keep us up to date on your progress and on what parts you use with cost of fitting👍

Jack

Thanks jack, will do. I'm using it as my daily now so want to get it as perfect as possible.

I placed an order with Amayama today for an Electronic Height Controller to see how they perform, quoting a week, from stock, half the price Lexus wanted. I'll see how that goes, thanks for the contact.

Oh, these just arrived🙂

wgxAvi02QGSIaP2msoOHHQ.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2ddesign said:

Blimey, this looks just the thing...

On 4/14/2023 at 10:19 PM, ElectricBlue said:

……..these just arrived🙂

🤤🤤🤤.  Where did you purchase these from Nick?  I have a birthday in 6 months and would like to give the wife plenty of notice…..😉😄

• Haha 1

Thanks Jack, will do. I'm using it as my daily now so want to get it as perfect as possible.

I placed an order with Amayama today for an Electronic Height Controller to see how they perform, quoting a week, from stock, half the price Lexus wanted. I'll see how that goes, thanks for the contact.

Oh, these just arrived🙂

Just had a frustrating morning. I saw these manuals for a 2004 on eBay today from the US for basically £143 + £30 postage, one set still remaining which I thought was  a good price.  So thinking I would go for them I go to purchase and confirm to buy and the price shoots up to £243 but not only that it says not in stock. I then have to request the seller to agree to cancel my order and now I have to wait to see if he does.

On top of that my insurance is up for renewal on the RX and SC with LV and despite looking round I couldn't save much money so I have renewed. I thought I would do the right thing and tell them about the throttle controller and boy did that take some explaining as to what it did and after negotiating a discount of £40 on the renewal that negated the discount. Due to the combined policy going up this year by £230 whereas previously I have paid for the year up front I have now gone for monthly payments so that is another £78 (17%). So this year my insurance has gone up by just over £300 and they don't even take any regard to the fact I am having a Pandora Storm immobilizer fitted on the RX in a couple of weeks time before the renewal date. So for both cars I am now paying £950 which I guess in todays climate is not to bad.  I did try Haggerty for the SC but they wouldn't insure it as it is parked in the road and Classic line and Adrian Flux were way above LV.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

but they wouldn't insure it as it is parked in the road

these insurers brokers simply make it all up as they go along ..............  I've been assured many years running that because i park my cars on the road outside my home, that REDUCES the cost of cover .......  heaven alone knows eh !

Malc

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jack, will do. I'm using it as my daily now so want to get it as perfect as possible.

Oh, these just arrived🙂

Hi jack,

Quick update. My parts arrived from Amayama, brilliantly easy to deal with, parts as advertised, all fitted by my guys locally (the tech there is Toyota trained and loves my FJ Cruiser too🙂)

So, 4 new Type C wheels (off the forum) all TPS replaced, 4 new Michelin Cross-Climates, new height controller installed & working, passenger window adjusted, fluids service and bingo! It's driving like a new car & no warning lights on and no suspension work needed. 2 trips to Norfolk & back, 2 up and 2 dogs plus luggage got 29mpg running E5 fuel only, total distance 1250 miles. Bloody marvellous.

Thanks again for the Amayama contact..

Best regards.

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links