Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen blip with my RX450h

Strange thing happened this afternoon as I was about to leave for an appointment. Having  held down the footbrake I pressed the ignition button then put the car into reverse and the radio came on.  However, the screen was entirely black.  I determined to continue to my appointment regardless but as I had a few minutes in hand, stopped just outside my property to see whether I could get the screen back.  I pressed the home and menu buttons without any change and the mouse didn't work. I then switched off the illuminated green ignition button and turned it back on again soon afterwards and the screen came back on, not where it was but I was able to reset it as want it.  Hope this was just a blip!

Same thing happened to me while I was leaving the dealership last week. The system had been reset.I switched off and restarted all was well. I did try to switch on the radio smartly after the ready light illuminated but it has been working fine since.

It just makes you concerned about what might have LED to this occurrence and whether it could be the beginning of electrical problems ,so many components that have to work perfectly and having a severe shaking on potholed roads these days.

Going back two cars I had a Mercedes W124 Coupe being MOT'd.  I had just previously checked everything was working but during the test the wipers failed to operate.  First thing that came to mind was the fuse.  Got the MOT tester to pull this and push it back in and low and behold wipers working again and Certificate pass issued.  Meanwhile, it had started to rain and I had not gone 100 yards from the MOT Centre when the wipers stopped working again.  So I pulled the fuse which was the old type with a strip (that normally melts with fault) connected to a bullet like cap at each end.  This appeared to be in order but on closer examination I could see that corrosion at one end of the strip had caused it to break from the end and only connect intermittently. So replacement fuse fitted and all good.  I do like it when you can find a reason for a problem!

My last car, a BMW E39 I still have but that suffered a number of electrical problems, not all of which I have been able to resolve.  One of them was that when a button was pressed the radio face would electronically lower to reveal a slot to insert a cassette.  At one point this began to continuously open and close by itself.  I think I stopped it by disconnecting and reconnecting the Battery.  Never did get to the bottom of that one which never happened again.

I was hoping I had left all these electrical gremlins behind with change to Lexus and that the unexplained situation here does not reoccur.  It will be interesting to learn whether this recorded a fault code which I will ask about at the next service.  

Weird stuff happens. Took my car in for annual service at Lexus last Friday and hadn't gone far enough forward in the parking bay so decided to switch on and move forward. When I pressed the starter button up popped a message 'hybrid system inoperative'. Switched off and restarted and moved forward and all OK. Went into service reception and said what had happened and a note was made on the service schedule for the technician to check over. Collected the car in the afternoon with a full hybrid pass and a need to go back again for a faulty injector (under Warranty). Weird stuff happens.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links