Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement key fobs

Hello,

I thought that some of you may be interested in my tale of replacement keys/fobs. I purchased my  2006 RX350 in January 2023 as I needed a large SUV to carry my bicycle around in, without having to Pfaff around with a rack. My budget was £5,500 so an older car was the only sensible option. I am a retiree so fuel consumption is not all that much of an issue.

I struck lucky(?!) and purchased a full Lexus history 2 owner car with 69K and uniquely no rust and in amazing condition! Since purchase I have been smoking it around and have come across two common issues affecting these. The first is the intermittent engine management light VSC warning light, which although I have fitted a brand new Lexus petrol cap - £43.00 plus shipping is still irritating.

The second is regarding the key fobs. Both mine look like they had been in a serious fire, but I now know these are the results of past attempts to solve the broken plastic fob syndrome. The one I was using broke for a 2nd time and the  sensors in the buttons were only working when there was an ‘R’ in the month. I checked the forums and saw that this breakage was the result of a design fault, which Toyota never corrected before the facelift post 2007/8. I decide that I needed at least on reliable key fob. I checked Lexus parts direct and the fob plus fitting and blank key was £328.00 inc. vat and postage! I don’t even want to think how much a dealer would charge to program and cut the blank key?

I searched for an auto locksmith here in the North west and came across Aston’s Auto locksmiths in Stockport, Greater Manchester. www.autolocksmithstockport.co.uk I sent them images of the key and they quoted £110.00 + vat for a replacement O.E. style fob, new key cut to factory specs. The second key would cost £55.00 plus vat. The transaction could be completed by post.

Chris Aston explained that the new fob is a modified item with a different support for the actual key avoiding the problems of the original fobs. They would take out all of the electronics in my original fob, supply a new Battery and  all of this would avoid the re-Programming issues. The key was cut to code.

The whole transaction took around 10 days and I paid £132.00 including vat and return postage. The new key fob is a surprise as the rear tailgate now closes on the fob, which it never did before? The key is a little stiff in the ignition, but Chris Aston assures me that this will wear in. I have included the before and after images for your consideration.

I will let you draw your own conclusions on the value of the service by Aston’s, but I am pleased and probably dodged a bullett.

DSCF3933.JPG

DSCF3934.JPG

DSCF3935.JPG

DSCF3936.JPG

DSCF3809.JPG

• Sad 2

Looks like you found a great company who sorted your problem for a decent price.

I had this problem before with an RX300 that I owned (no longer) and found a locksmith fairly near me in Orpington who sorted my keys out at a very reasonable price. Always pays to spend a bit of time looking round instead of just splashing big cash on the same or inferior oem products.

Glad your enjoying the 350, I miss my 300 for it's sheer space and carrying capacity but do love my IS250 convertible!

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, Robert 635 said:

Hello,

I thought that some of you may be interested in my tale of replacement keys/fobs. I purchased my  2006 RX350 in January 2023 as I needed a large SUV to carry my bicycle around in, without having to Pfaff around with a rack. My budget was £5,500 so an older car was the only sensible option. I am a retiree so fuel consumption is not all that much of an issue.

I struck lucky(?!) and purchased a full Lexus history 2 owner car with 69K and uniquely no rust and in amazing condition! Since purchase I have been smoking it around and have come across two common issues affecting these. The first is the intermittent engine management light VSC warning light, which although I have fitted a brand new Lexus petrol cap - £43.00 plus shipping is still irritating.

The second is regarding the key fobs. Both mine look like they had been in a serious fire, but I now know these are the results of past attempts to solve the broken plastic fob syndrome. The one I was using broke for a 2nd time and the  sensors in the buttons were only working when there was an ‘R’ in the month. I checked the forums and saw that this breakage was the result of a design fault, which Toyota never corrected before the facelift post 2007/8. I decide that I needed at least on reliable key fob. I checked Lexus parts direct and the fob plus fitting and blank key was £328.00 inc. vat and postage! I don’t even want to think how much a dealer would charge to program and cut the blank key?

I searched for an auto locksmith here in the North west and came across Aston’s Auto locksmiths in Stockport, Greater Manchester. www.autolocksmithstockport.co.uk I sent them images of the key and they quoted £110.00 + vat for a replacement O.E. style fob, new key cut to factory specs. The second key would cost £55.00 plus vat. The transaction could be completed by post.

Chris Aston explained that the new fob is a modified item with a different support for the actual key avoiding the problems of the original fobs. They would take out all of the electronics in my original fob, supply a new battery and  all of this would avoid the re-Programming issues. The key was cut to code.

The whole transaction took around 10 days and I paid £132.00 including vat and return postage. The new key fob is a surprise as the rear tailgate now closes on the fob, which it never did before? The key is a little stiff in the ignition, but Chris Aston assures me that this will wear in. I have included the before and after images for your consideration.

I will let you draw your own conclusions on the value of the service by Aston’s, but I am pleased and probably dodged a bullett.

DSCF3933.JPG

DSCF3934.JPG

DSCF3935.JPG

DSCF3936.JPG

DSCF3809.JPG

Well Robert, I hate to say this my friend, but you've been right royally ripped off there mate.

When I had my RX300 I had the very same problem because, as you say, it is a design fault and the key cases just can't withstand the stresses of being turned.

I found this guy on eBay (just click on that link for details) who will either cut the key blade to code, or if you don't have the code then you send a couple of photos and he'll cut the blade from them. He then takes the electronics out of your old damaged case and transfers it into the new case.

He does this, including a 100% money-back guarantee in the very unlikely event that something's wrong, for the princely sum of just £13.85 including delivery. I sent my keys on a Tuesday, he got them and did them on the Wed/Thur and I got them back on the Friday.

I see that this is your first post in the forums and that you live in Lancashire. I live in Preston and will happily help you with anything if you're not too far away, but please ask in the forum first before doing something. I understand and accept that you're happy with what you got but I'm sure you'd have been even happier paying ten times less.

EDIT 23/04/23 @ 14.23: 

Just for completeness, I was misremembering and thinking of a key for some other car, so I've struck out that text. I didn't actually send my key to him at all, just the photos (I had no code tag). He cut the key blade from my photo and then sent the assembly to me, and I just swapped over the electronics.

• Like 1

I’ve learned something new here as I thought Lexus at this time used the “Smart” key system across the full model range as I have with my 2004 Celsior (LS430) and not  conventional combined fob/blade keys.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Herbie said:

Well Robert, I hate to say this my friend, but you've been right royally ripped off there mate.

When I had my RX300 I had the very same problem because, as you say, it is a design fault and the key cases just can't withstand the stresses of being turned.

I found this guy on eBay (just click on that link for details) who will either cut the key blade to code, or if you don't have the code then you send a couple of photos and he'll cut the blade from them. He then takes the electronics out of your old damaged case and transfers it into the new case.

He does this, including a 100% money-back guarantee in the very unlikely event that something's wrong, for the princely sum of just £13.85 including delivery. I sent my keys on a Tuesday, he got them and did them on the Wed/Thur and I got them back on the Friday.

I see that this is your first post in the forums and that you live in Lancashire. I live in Preston and will happily help you with anything if you're not too far away, but please ask in the forum first before doing something. I understand and accept that you're happy with what you got but I'm sure you'd have been even happier paying ten times less.

I know this is slightly adjacent to the article but we are almost at 46 years since the launch of the Voyager 1&2 spacecraft. I remember it well as at the time I worked for the firm who made the on-board digital cameras. My point is your key fob has more computational power in it than the Voyagers 😱, so even at £100 quid ish it's still a bargain 🍻

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

My point is your key fob has more computational power in it than the Voyagers 😱, so even at £100 quid ish it's still a bargain 🍻

I completely agree if we're talking about the electronics Phil, but all Robert got for his £132 was the key cut and blank cases with his own electronics inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I completely agree if we're talking about the electronics Phil, but all Robert got for his £132 was the key cut and blank cases with his own electronics inside.

Yes Herbs but had Robert not spent the additional £100 he probably would have squandered it on beer and fags. Whereas the recipient of the £100 probably gave it to his aged aunt for groceries thereby supporting shop workers and growers who in turn used their earnings to buy a lexus thereby keeping your local dealer in business for your benefit. And it's cost you nowt 🎉🎉🎉😎

• Haha 2

2 x £6 to get my 2 x eBay £15 keys (with buttons and Battery guts) cut (local key cutter). = £42 so far. Had to file one down a tad. But they do wear in.

£20 to put in copied chips (Timpsons) so 2 imposters and original master all start car. = £62 so far

Only thing I can't seem to do is reprogram the 2 imposter key fob buttons.

TIS tells me the ECU states the wireless is maxed out (4 keys loaded). And I cannot seem to delete and clear them in TIS to then be able to reprogram the 2 new imposters.

Grrr

Hello,

Thanks for all of your replies. I am not sure whether I deserve to pillaried, though.....?

I did in fact check both the forums and eBay before going ahead with the service mentioned, in my post. As a buyer of services, I suppose that you pays your money and takes your choice?

Now can someone advise me on the intermittent EML & VSC problem please???

Thanks in advance

Robert

50 minutes ago, Robert 635 said:

Hello,

Thanks for all of your replies. I am not sure whether I deserve to pillaried, though.....?

I did in fact check both the forums and eBay before going ahead with the service mentioned, in my post. As a buyer of services, I suppose that you pays your money and takes your choice?

Now can someone advise me on the intermittent EML & VSC problem please???

Thanks in advance

Robert

It could be something as simple as a loose petrol cap, but otherwise you'd need a code reader to check the fault codes.

Here's a couple of articles that might give you some ideas.

https://studentlesson.com/understanding-vsc-light/

https://www.motorverso.com/vsc-light/

Common causes appear to be fuel cap seal failed, exhaust leak, O2 sensors and the dreaded valve under the intake manifold.

As suggested by Bill the codes need reading with Toyota Techstream to be more accurate.

If you have a windows laptop you can buy the USB adaptor for around £50.00 which is less than one scan at a dealer.

Hello Steve & Blue marlin,

Thanks for your comments. I have read the links, thank you.

The petrol cap is the correct part, new from Lexus direct and the lights go off if you release the pressure by unscrewing the cap and re-staring the engine. I have seen the comment regarding a USB connector, can you provide a link where I can to buy this or get further information please?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

4 minutes ago, Robert 635 said:

I have seen the comment regarding a USB connector, can you provide a link where I can to buy this or get further information please?

There's plenty available here on eBay and they're all very similar so I can't recommend one over the others.

Almost all of them will come with a pirated copy of Techstream, which is the very same software diagnostic program used by Lexus techs in the dealer workshops. We can't be seen to condone software piracy (that's a matter for your own conscience) so the legal and legit way would be to download Techstream from here and pay for a block of time to use it, such as €5/day or €10/week etc.

Whichever way you decide to proceed, you'll need that VCI cable from eBay anyway.

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Common causes appear to be fuel cap seal failed, exhaust leak, O2 sensors and the dreaded valve under the intake manifold.

As suggested by Bill the codes need reading with Toyota Techstream to be more accurate.

If you have a windows laptop you can buy the USB adaptor for around £50.00 which is less than one scan at a dealer.

26 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There's plenty available here on eBay and they're all very similar so I can't recommend one over the others.

Almost all of them will come with a pirated copy of Techstream, which is the very same software diagnostic program used by Lexus techs in the dealer workshops. We can't be seen to condone software piracy (that's a matter for your own conscience) so the legal and legit way would be to download Techstream from here and pay for a block of time to use it, such as €5/day or €10/week etc.

Whichever way you decide to proceed, you'll need that VCI cable from eBay anyway.

Hello,

Thanks Herbie, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Robert

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links