Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare parts for my "new" lexus LS430

Hi folks, bought my LS at end of December and had mot'd. Mechanic pointed out a few things that need doing. On the list is cam belts/pump, rear cat at some point looking aftermarket with magnaflow, any members had any experience? Passing emmisions and keeping costs down is the priority. She has a seized caliper so I've found someone breaking an LS. Going for caliper and passenger wing mirror as that doesn't fold in too great, clicks and takes ages. Bought the car from an older gent who'd only covered a few hundred miles a year for around a decade. Only covered 107k miles and an X reg, possibly one of the earliest 430s around. My question is, any other bits worth picking up when going for caliper and wing mirror? Thanks, Martin. 

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. :thumbup:
The wing mirror problem is fairly common due to stripped teeth and aging motors.
There are also a couple of companies that will refurbish your calipers if needed.
Speakers tend to suffer from disintegrating foam, especially the Subwoofer on the parcel shelf, but they can be re-foamed.
Door actuator motors are an occasional issue.
Radiators occasionally rust through to the transmission oil cooler that it built into them, causing coolant to mix with the transmission fluid and ruining the gearbox, but I wouldn't risk a used radiator as they are cheap enough new.

As for the exhaust, what is wrong with the rear CAT?
They are stainless and should be good for the life of the vehicle.
The exhaust from there rearwards is only mild steel so does rust.

Hi Martin and welcome to the LOC.

I’m guessing it’s one of the rear callipers that has “seized” if so it is normally the slide pins which seize not the calliper itself as even with Lexus servicing they do not get removed and re-greased.

Early models did suffer from window glass delaminating resulting in cloudy patches but would normally be present by now if it were to occur.

Pictures of your car are always welcomed 😀

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, she's a beaut. First lexus, and what a machine. She has a small amount of delamination on passenger front window, not a priority for now. Previous owner assumed the wing mirror was clipped whilst parked, there is a scuff mark to back up his claim. A second hand unit is only 40 quid so going to try swap out bits. Appears to be the mechanism that's failed so could be wear and tear or being clipped. The caliper is front drivers side, mechanic suggested a used replacement, same guy selling one for 50 quid. I have noticed a small amount of static noise from a speaker. Will need to further investigate! The previous owner being 80 was a bit rough with the drivers door, so the hinge makes a popping/crunch noise when opening and closing. Will have a better look tomorrow maybe needs a bit of grease or may have been over extended and damaged slightly. The furthest rear cat is corroded and may be an mot failure next time. For mot mechanic had to remove two parallel sections with the insulation like material inside?? Said it had rotten from the inside out. Was replaced and welded with fresh metal. I'm going off advice from mechanic who is a good mate of mine. As for belts etc last done over 10 years ago but only done a few thousand miles. Appears to have a coolant leak from pump so doing the job regardless for piece of mind. Thanks very much for the input and advice, much appreciated!

Unusual for the 4 pot callipers to seize but with little use possible, while you’re in there with the cam belt/water pump replace the radiator if not already done. They have an integrated transmission cooler which fails internally mixing coolant with transmission fluid resulting in wrecked transmission.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links