Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening,

So here I am up on the Isle of Skye on a peninsula called Waternish, the village is called Stein.  Do you know it? It truly is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been too.  Five years ago this week I came up here in my 06 plate LS430 and it was the best drive I’ve ever had.  My boy and I still talk about it to this day….. cruising up the M6, through Glasgow, past Loch Lomond, the Cairngorms, Fort William and beyond to Skye, crossing over on the small ferry at Glenelg.  What a drive, despite having three bikes on the rear and one stuffed in the boot.  We stayed at a house called Loch Bay boathouse, once owned by the folk singer Donovan.  George Harrison once stayed at the house, adding to the magical aura.  On the stereo all we seemed to play was the album Revolver.  Such a happy holiday, the kids young enough to still think I’m the king of all.  3 years later I was back, this time dutifully in a VW Sharan and I’m here now again in the Shaz, my shed on wheels. Stuffed with bikes, walking kit, stuff and more stuff.

As we all know nostalgia can have a hold and the past is another country….. but gosh I want another LS.

I wonder how can I make it work? As far as I know you can’t fit a tow bar or a roof rack to a LS600.  Will the Battery be tired on a 08/9 plate, in fact is the car just to old now as a daily?

finally my wife likes the Shaz, coming from a Jazz my lady thought it was massive and took a while to adjust.  I can’t recall her driving the LS.

Like many on here I’m a car enthusiast, my other being a MX5 NC BBR 200.  I miss the V8, the comfort, ease of power, the reliability, the toys and much more.

Any thoughts or comments on Skye and car appreciated.

Nick in Sheffield.

PS once in Sennen Cove (other end of UK) I saw a LS400 with a roof rack and when in Skye that first time with my LS I was followed by a LS400 near to Dunvegan, the car was aloof and didn’t even flash.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Avantime said:

As far as I know you can’t fit a tow bar or a roof rack to a LS600.  

You can fit a Seasucker bike rack to any LS, I have seem them on Audi Q7s and so on, so appears they stick well enough.

Also Rockbros do a sucker rack.

And Treefrog

I used Saris Bones with my LS, though I think this method may cause more drag than top mounted racks which I have used on previous cars. At least with Saris Bones no fear of dropping the bike onto the roof by accident.  I was lucky in that someone had fitted a tow bar unit so I had the connection for rear lighting fitting to go with the bikes.  Not sure how that was allowed as the Mk4 LS was not approved for UK fitting of tow bars (but she never failed her MOT)

13 hours ago, Avantime said:

Any thoughts or comments on Skye and car appreciated.

Nick hi ............... don't see why you shouldn't have a Ls430. or better still a Ls400 as your everyday driver ............ very robust in most instances and mine has travelled o'er glen and trossach and much of Skye too over the years holidaying in beautiful Scotland .  zipping along M-Ways at max speed limits and sauntering across beautiful countryside finding outta the way villages and towns 

Ls400 as an everyday driver .  that's the way I am and have been for decades too  .  and hopefully will so continue

Malc

Hi and thanks for the replies.  Pete, I wasn’t aware of these.  Four bikes on a sucker, think I’d be a nervous driver, however I will look in to it.  I know these cars aren’t designed as lifestyle utility vehicles so maybe I should look elsewhere, say RX450, but I have an itch to scratch.

Malc, I’m glad you still drive the 400.  They have to my eye aged extremely well and could possibly be all the car I need……. But I just can’t help wanting a 600L and for not a lot of money at the mo. Obviously a lot more to go wrong.

I’ve been looking at a BMW 5 GT530, but really I want a NA engine so of course back to a Lexus.  

Nick

Edited by Avantime
Bad grammar
  • Like 1

Not directly related to Nick's post, but thanks to the driver of the S-reg Mk.4 (same colour as mine) who flashed me in Tesco car park in Lewes a few weeks ago - just in case it's a reader of this forum.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links