Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rubbing noise at 1300rpm

This morning with it being a windy morning I was driving back from childcare, and I was stuck behind a van doing 40mph, so the car was sitting at low revs when I heard a rubbing noise. It sounded like the liner was hitting the wheel or something. I wasn't far from the house so I got home and couldn't notice anything. There had been twigs etc on the road from the wind so I'd assumed perhaps a twig was stuck somewhere.

So during a break I went out and looked again, no rubbing in the arches, but I noticed even when it was parked up, if I revved the car slightly to 1300rpm there was the same rubbing noise, not moving so can discount tyres/liners/bearings etc.

I double checked the plastics in the engine bay, and while they're missing some push-in studs, they don't seem to be vibrating to make the noise.

I'm guessing maybe exhaust? A cursory glance couldn't see anything amiss.

I notice a post here -

it sounds almost like that video, but coming from front right drivers side. And as it does it when stopped and revved, I suspect wishbones aren't the case.

Trying to trace this down, it sounds like it is coming from underneath the drivers seat.

I notice there are 2 heatshields one for each pipe underneath the front seats, the metal can be "folded", but I can't see anything loose.

I'm wondering if it is coming from somewhere more forward, the exhaust dissappears into the engine bay. From the top of the engine I can't seem to see a manifold cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links