Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise around 1500rpm when driving forwards

Hi

I've recently observed an unpleasant sound while driving forward at around 1500rpm. Interestingly, the noise doesn't occur when the vehicle is in park or reverse and I rev the engine. Just to provide some context, I drive an automatic transmission. This sound persists across all gears when moving forward.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in resolving this issue as the noise has become quite bothersome.

Thank you.

Is the noise coming when you turn the steering wheel or when you go over a bump?

Difficult to diagnose noise from a video on the internet.

Start with the basics:

- shock absorbers/strut mounts

- Drop links

- Lower control / upper control arm including ball joints

- Steering rack

Look for anything loose that may be rubbing in the engine bay

Try making the noise happen when stationary.

The noise is absent when the car is stationary but becomes audible only during movement. Whether driving straight or turning the wheel, the noise is present, although it is not directly caused by turning the steering wheel.

I have included another video in which I simultaneously press the brake and accelerator pedals. This video demonstrates that the noise also occurs when the car is attempting to move forward. However, I would like to highlight that this phenomenon exclusively happens when the gear is in drive for forward motion. When I conducted a similar test with the gear in reverse, the noise did not occur.

Very difficult to determine the cause from a video as mentioned previously, so is the noise coming from around the centre console area and does continue above 1500 RPM or only at that engine speed?
If the former it would suggest something is resonating at that particular frequency.  
A stethoscope may be the best diagnostic tool here to poke around and try to localise the noise more.

Also try changing the climate control settings from hot to cold and flow direction to see if it is being caused by one of the actuator flaps rattling.

Very hard to  diagnose from a video but, as Steve says, it sounds like something vibrating around the centre console area, and similar to a dash rattle I had in a previous car.

I'd start with Steve's suggestion of playing around with the vents, and then pressing against various parts of the centre console and dash, to see if anything is loose and vibrating at that particular engine speed.

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links