Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Battery upgrade

John Shaw

Has anyone ever considered (or executed) changing the OEM Battery pack for a newer, longer range one?

If so, what are the costs and difficulties. I'm not talking about doing this myself but getting a techie to do it for me.

Thanks for any help or advice.

John Shaw (new member)

29 minutes ago, John Shaw said:

Has anyone ever considered (or executed) changing the OEM battery pack for a newer, longer range one?

So longer range would require more capacity, so likely to be physically bigger, never heard of this being done on a Lexus hybrid.

Even if possible you'd probably have to drive around 10 million miles to recoup any costs from fuel saving.

1 hour ago, John Shaw said:

Thanks Spock66. I just wondered if newer battery technology with better materials than the OEM battery would give range benefits without taking up more space.

It's just a thought that occurred to me.

People have done it in the US with Prius, but mainly just DIY projects rather than a commercially available upgrade kit. Moving to LFP lithium batteries would make the most sense in terms of extra capacity without any safety concerns, but you get diminishing returns by just adding more capacity - the EV only maximum speed is still there which really limits the use of the extra capacity. 

You get better success increasing the capacity of the Prius plug-in compared the just the hybrid model. 

I think Lexus believe they already have the best technology when stating the new LBX will continue with the original NiMH Battery concept as they feel even though it is more costly, it does a better job than the more popular lion batteries.

Also interesting that the press are now circulating Toyota's breakthrough in EV batteries with a range in the  vicinity of 750  miles and a charging time of 10 minutes, 😉

3 minutes ago, Poundy said:

I think Lexus believe they already have the best technology when stating the new LBX will continue with the original NiMH battery concept as they feel even though it is more costly, it does a better job than the more popular lion batteries.

Marketing spin mainly, they don’t have the supply chain or want the extra expense to use Lithium Ion batteries in all their hybrids, even though they do in some models in different countries. 

Reliability is also a concern as they don’t have extensive experience with Lithium Ion Battery management. 

Thanks everyone. Interesting discussion. 

I'm currently averaging over 57mpg from my CT200h (UK gallons and according to the onboard trip computer) so I have no complaints, just wondered if this upgrade was a realistic option. Sounds like it's not really.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links