Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nextbase Unstable WiFi Connection

Hi, I've just bought a new Lexus UX with a Nextbase 380GWX front and rear camera and Battery fitted by the dealer. I've enabled parking mode. The problem is that WiFi to either my Android phone or tablet only manages to stay connected for a minute, sometimes less. I've tried resetting the camera and using the camera to format the disc.

I've read that turning parking mode off can help, but via WiFi this doesn't seem possible so is it necessary as per page 48 of the manual to remove the SD card? I can only get at the SD card by removing the camera from the car which means either I can't use the security screws or I can't use parking mode. These were among the reasons I thought this camera would be better than the alternatives.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help with this or has any other suggestions to improve the WiFi connection? I've also posted this question on  https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/ but haven't yet had any replies.

Hi Roger

I have the same set up but not sure if I have the Battery installed. It was on the car when I bought it. The Wi-Fi does seem difficult. It does not always connect first time on my Iphone and you always have to manually connect by pressing the blue button for a few seconds then go to Wi-Fi on your phone to connect. A strange set up.  But why do you need to connect to the Wi-Fi? I just leave mine alone. Unless you want to download a clip because something has happened there is no reason to connect. 

I thought you could remove the sd card without taking the camera off but I haven’t tried. 

I presume you have the manual but here it is for reference

NBDVR380GWXRCB - Instruction Manual (English R12).pdf

1 hour ago, Roger Bill said:

Hi, I've just bought a new Lexus UX with a Nextbase 380GWX front and rear camera and battery fitted by the dealer. I've enabled parking mode. The problem is that WiFi to either my Android phone or tablet only manages to stay connected for a minute, sometimes less. I've tried resetting the camera and using the camera to format the disc.

I've read that turning parking mode off can help, but via WiFi this doesn't seem possible so is it necessary as per page 48 of the manual to remove the SD card? I can only get at the SD card by removing the camera from the car which means either I can't use the security screws or I can't use parking mode. These were among the reasons I thought this camera would be better than the alternatives.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help with this or has any other suggestions to improve the WiFi connection? I've also posted this question on  https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/ but haven't yet had any replies.

I had a major issue with my 380GWX where Wifi  was not stable and basically unusable.  Support from Nextbase via the web and email was strenuos at best.  The solution was to check if you had the latest firmware and perform a Firmware upgrade.  To do this you will need to copy the latest firmware file to the SD Card root directory then power off and power up the camera.  You can copy the firmware file to the SDCARD using the USB port underneath one of the side access ports on the camera.

Nextbase Support  380GWX Firmware    ( Download and install NBDVR380GWX-R4.9.zip )

380GWX Firmware Udate Instructions

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Hi Roger

I have the same set up but not sure if I have the battery installed. It was on the car when I bought it. The Wi-Fi does seem difficult. It does not always connect first time on my iPhone and you always have to manually connect by pressing the blue button for a few seconds then go to Wi-Fi on your phone to connect. A strange set up.  But why do you need to connect to the Wi-Fi? I just leave mine alone. Unless you want to download a clip because something has happened there is no reason to connect. 

I thought you could remove the sd card without taking the camera off but I haven’t tried. 

I presume you have the manual but here it is for reference

NBDVR380GWXRCB - Instruction Manual (English R12).pdf 5.18 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks Paul, I've downloaded your version of the manual which is newer than the one I'd downloaded previously. Will check to see if it helps.

In addition to downloading videos WiFi access is required to access the camera's settings which, as you say, I guess I won't need to do once I've got over the novelty of fiddling😊😊

The reason I can't get at the SD card without pulling it off the mount is because it's too close to the interior mirror.

I have to press the blue button on mine to get my phone connected but then it drops after a minute or less. Do you find the same with yours?

If you see the blue light on yours flashing it indicates a low Battery or if it's solid then the Battery is charging. Either would indicate you have a Battery installed alternatively check under the Battery compartment lid. It's useful to have if you want parking mode and your's is installed with a switched power connection. I didn't want a permanently live connection from the car as I thought it could drain the car Battery if the car's left standing for sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillie said:

I had a major issue with my 380GWX where Wifi  was not stable and basically unusable.  Support from Nextbase via the web and email was strenuos at best.  The solution was to check if you had the latest firmware and perform a Firmware upgrade.  To do this you will need to copy the latest firmware file to the SD Card root directory then power off and power up the camera.  You can copy the firmware file to the SDCARD using the USB port underneath one of the side access ports on the camera.

Nextbase Support  380GWX Firmware    ( Download and install NBDVR380GWX-R4.9.zip )

380GWX Firmware Udate Instructions

Thanks Paul that sounds very promising, I'll check the firmware version later today and let you know what I find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Bill said:

I have to press the blue button on mine to get my phone connected but then it drops after a minute or less. Do you find the same with yourse.

This was exactly the same.  Basically it was unusable.

Just had a play with mine. I could not see any blue LED light up, but by taking it off the mount I can see a Battery in so I have enabled Parking Mode. Hope it doesn't drain the car Battery.

To view dashcam videos I turn the car on to power the dashcam. Press the blue Triangle button for > 3 secs. Open settings on my Iphone and search for Wi-Fi. Connect to the Nextbase Wi-Fi. Then open the Cam Viewer app and connect to the camera. I can then adjust settings, view videos etc. I haven't tried to download any and it does drop out occasionally. But can't see when I would need to download stuff unless there was an incident.

Red LED on or flashing. Yellow LED flashing then on. All LEDs go off when car is turned off. I presume that means it is on a switched feed. (It was installed by Lexus and came with the car. Not something I specified).

I presume you can't take yours off the mount as you have the security screws attached.  

@Hillie Found that I have version 4.4 of the firmware so downloaded V4.9, unzipped and copied the .bin file onto the camera's SD card. But after trying various things no rapid flashing red light and it hasn't yet installed the update. Will try again tomorrow.

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Just had a play with mine. I could not see any blue LED light up, but by taking it off the mount I can see a battery in so I have enabled Parking Mode. Hope it doesn't drain the car battery.

To view Dashcam videos I turn the car on to power the DashCam. Press the blue Triangle button for > 3 secs. Open settings on my iPhone and search for Wi-Fi. Connect to the Nextbase Wi-Fi. Then open the Cam Viewer app and connect to the camera. I can then adjust settings, view videos etc. I haven't tried to download any and it does drop out occasionally. But can't see when I would need to download stuff unless there was an incident.

Red LED on or flashing. Yellow LED flashing then on. All LEDs go off when car is turned off. I presume that means it is on a switched feed. (It was installed by Lexus and came with the car. Not something I specified).

I presume you can't take yours off the mount as you have the security screws attached.  

I wonder if your Battery is dead and needs replacing? Although I'd like to, I haven't installed the security screws as I need to take the camera off it's mount to access the USB connection, etc.

9 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

@Hillie Found that I have version 4.4 of the firmware so downloaded V4.9, unzipped and copied the .bin file onto the camera's SD card. But after trying various things no rapid flashing red light and it hasn't yet installed the update. Will try again tomorrow.

Interestingly the Nextbase.com website still has V4.4 for the 380GWX as the latest version available for download from: https://support.nextbase.com/hc/en-150/articles/360018628818-How-to-update-the-firmware-on-380GW-and-380GWX-Dash-Cam

4 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

Interestingly the Nextbase.com website still has V4.4 for the 380GWX as the latest version available for download from: https://support.nextbase.com/hc/en-150/articles/360018628818-How-to-update-the-firmware-on-380GW-and-380GWX-Dash-Cam

Correct.  NextBase sent me to that link myself then when it did not work as they expected I manually searched the support site to get the lattest firmware.  They are aware of that error in the instructions documentation, but clearly have elected not to do anything about it. The support ticket I raised with them was mid June this year.

15 minutes ago, Hillie said:

Correct.  NextBase sent me to that link myself then when it did not work as they expected I manually searched the support site to get the lattest firmware.  They are aware of that error in the instructions documentation, but clearly have elected not to do anything about it. The support ticket I raised with them was mid June this year.

Thanks for confirming that @Hillie 

Once having downloaded V4.9, did you have any problems installing it? I think I've followed the instructions precisely including unzipping and copying the FWA380GA.bin file into the root folder of the SD Card but the red light doesn't flash quickly and V4.4 is still shown as the installed version and the WiFi connection is still unstable.

4 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

@Hillie @PaulWhitt20 Problem solved.

I used the Nextbase Replay software on my Windows laptop to install the V4.9 firmware update. It does seem on initial testing to provide a much more stable WiFi connection than V4.4.

PS All the settings are lost by updating the firmware so you have to reenter your car registration number, reenable parking mode, etc.

3 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

@Hillie @PaulWhitt20 Problem solved.

I used the Nextbase Replay software on my Windows laptop to install the V4.9 firmware update. It does seem on initial testing to provide a much more stable WiFi connection than V4.4.

1 minute ago, Roger Bill said:

PS All the settings are lost by updating the firmware so you have to reenter your car registration number, reenable parking mode, etc.

Same result on both points.  V4.9 is far more stable and at a level where I can browse video clips and delete locked content that is not needed.  As for the settings,  I was wondering if I deleted a settings / config file in the root directory of the SDCARD when I reformated it on my laptop. I also has to reset my Reg and preferences.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Just noticed there is a new version of the Can Viewer app - V 2023.2 released 8th Aug 23.

Is this any more stable?

I believe the Wifi issue was a firmware problem on the host (380GW/GWX device) and not the App / User device, client side.  My app updated August 4th and have not seen any difference.  The App version history suggests this update was for date format only.  On a side note I have just noticed that NextBase Android app user reviews are very poor 2/5.    Maybe they do have a lot in common with Lexus -  neither company can make a good app. 🫢

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links