Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member not yet an owner.

Boomer54

Since the sale of my BMW Coupe 335 I have been carless. I confess I just do not like virtually all 'modern' cars. They leave me 'cold' with their almost sameless aesthetics. I offer no apology for wanting to be different, to stand out from the crowd at least a little bit.

On that note by complete accident I spotted a SC430 (a rare sighting) and remembered how much I warmed to it when it first launched. Since that moment I refound my passion to have another  car. I found my way here attempting to learn all I could about them before I got the checkbook out. Time well spent I can assure you, because if you want to know about something like a car listen to the people who own and run them and have a passion for them.

Anyway, I am in scout mode for the right opportunity and if anyone on here spots something worthy of comment them please PM me regarding that and it will be appreciated.

Stephen

• Like 2

Test drive day is upon us, and I am feeling quietly confident regarding the outcome given the pedigree.

The crowd went 'will he, won't he'. Watch this space and all shall be revealed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Malc1 said:

are you going to Lucerne to buy THAT one ?

Malc

Got me !

Indeed, scratching through the bottom of my wardrobe for the flares, flowery waistcoat etc last worn en route to San Francisco so that I can accessorise properly.

• Haha 1

Leaving details aside so the seller may do his thing at his leisure I am pleased to say it's 'welcome aboard' the 'we love SC express'. A little disingenuous given those are also my initials ...it's a twofer😏

• Like 1

Just to fill in the blank details above I have bought the 2005 SC430 from LocalHero on this site. Counting down to picking it up on Monday. Indeed, the debut trip back to Lancashire following the A55 along the N Wales coastline is a very nice way to start. The wife might get worried if I get carried away and start texting from Inverness. Really looking forward to the experience of owning a really lovely, relatively scarce marque, with bags of kerb appeal. Apparently they only sold just over 2000 here in the UK, but given the build quality they are for the most part still running about.

I know people have different views about car covers, but I am double wrapping this car, because it will be parked in an area where it gets very little sun, but quite a bit of rain and wind. I used to park my BMW there for long periods so I know the issues to be addressed. By double wrapping I mean a fleece lined cover sitting within a tubular flexi tent bolted to the cobbles. Sizing up a little so I can work inside it as well. Now clock watching.

NB If my brother is reading, come on son , really , you want to park your TT next to this ;(

• Like 2

You will find a lot of different views on the pro’s and con’s for using a car cover.  Mine generally lives under a cover because it is keep out in the open. It is an all weather breathable one with a fleece lining. I always make sure I only put it back on after I have washed the car and have had no issues in over a year. Although I haven’t put it on for the last few weeks as I am trying to drive it more during the better weather.

• Like 2

So, she is now home making those cobbles look good. Felt for Stew letting it go, tough one to eat.

How reliable do people find the trip digital readout for fuel consumption?

Just asking ,because it tells me I was getting 38.5 mpg which I was not expecting.

• Like 1

So, she is now home making those cobbles look good. Felt for Stew letting it go, tough one to eat.

How reliable do people find the trip digital readout for fuel consumption?

Just asking ,because it tells me I was getting 38.5 mpg which I was not expecting.

Already under guard.

New Lexus.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nigel Coleman said:

Gloucester to Torquay at the speed limit most of the way got 33mpg. Dare say a longer more relaxed drive will return an even higher mpg.

Divide by 2 for short around town trips.

I remember the days when if you got 30mpg out of a 1.3 Cortina - you were doing well!

• Haha 1

Going out this morning to work my way through the very many controls on this Lexus. See whats what so to speak. Particularly the Sat Nav which as I found yesterday works fine. Pressed OPEN en route and obviously it had a prior route planned which it was ever so good at describing to me. Curiosity satisfied I pressed CLOSED . Yet the voice kept right on going behind the cover.

Anyway we had a chat this morning and she asked me 'does my butt look good out here'. Answers on a postcard to Lexigirl lancs.

NB The cobbles for historians used to be in Rochdale town centre until 30 years ago ish.

Lexus Rearview.jpg

• Like 3

Now this is more like it, blue skies allround. Hence, we are literally taking the roof off today for it's debut 'wind through the hair' outing. As I do that I am going to send out a shout to Stew the great guy who sold me this. Nowt to report Stew, she's like 'gold'. Gave the wife a little trip yesterday and just tickled the the 3.9 setting. Think she's more comfortable with that than I am (what a wimp).

• Like 1

Yesterday I started the process looking for a reversing camera for the car. Went to Basic Systems in Preston. They just came back to say they can install a camera that will use the existing Sat Nav screen (would not have  any system that destroys the aesthetics of the interior) . They priced at £550 which I would pay if it comes to it as they impressed with their setup. However, at £60ph for a 1/2 day install the numbers imply the camera itself may be overpriced. Perhaps more importantly I need to know what camera system they are using and where the cabling will run.

On that note I am very aware SCMods do a kit (that is apparently proven tech). Not very expensive kit so all good there. My question here is I wish to know is all the SCMods installation confined to the bootspace via the reversing light and the existing DVD boot installation OR is there any need to run cabling to the front and connect via the Sat Nav screen installation. Frankly, if it is the former that probably limits labour costs and more importantly does not involve unnecessary disruption elsewhere to the car.

I know there is a thread discussing reversing camera and someone there installed the SCMod kit so some feedback would be much appreciated.

If it helps anyoneelse I bought a car cover from Everycarcovered this week. It took 2 days to arrive. Came in a nice bag with gel covered caps for the straps to stop abrasion. I can attest it fits the SC430 like a glove. Comes with or without wing mirrors pockets. Cannot attest to longevity obviously, but on inspection it's put together well on things like the seams and the interior lining. Cost £189 which inc £8.50 delivery.

• Like 1

Basic systems came back to show me what they would install. They install via an interface behind the Sat Nav screen. Probably works fine given they will warranty it so why am I reluctant not to go with it. I guess I favour the boot installation ideally, but it's finding someone to do that.

On another note I cannot believe it's taken me nearly 50 years to drive an automatic. So, simple and solves the problem on a bad RA day with the left hand when it comes to changing gears. I did wonder beforehand if I was being stupid buying an automatic when I have never driven one.  Not an issue as it works out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Basic systems came back to show me what they would install. They install via an interface behind the Sat Nav screen. Probably works fine given they will warranty it so why am I reluctant not to go with it. I guess I favour the boot installation ideally, but it's finding someone to do that.

On another note I cannot believe it's taken me nearly 50 years to drive an automatic. So, simple and solves the problem on a bad RA day with the left hand when it comes to changing gears. I did wonder beforehand if I was being stupid buying an automatic when I have never driven one.  Not an issue as it works out.

I have the sc430mods one and I don’t think ir is difficult to fit as the interior of the boot is easily removed. After undoing the bolt on the bracket above the sat nav you can undo the two bolts holding the sat nav. Disconnect the connections on the back and refit with the new ones. Run the wires to the camera through a hole made in the grommet in the boot floor then remove the number plate light feeding the wire through and fix the camera with double sided tape. However I totally understand if you don’t want to do it yourself.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links