Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Black residue at tip of dipstick.

Hi all. So yesterday after ages i thought it might be a good idea to check the oil level before setting off on a long trip. To my surprise there was some dark grey / black residue on only the tip of the dipstick. The rest of the oil was clear. Do any of you also experience this? What do you think it is? I initially thought it might be soot from blowby gases but if it were that all of the oil would be uniformly black/grey. Preliminary research suggests that this is actually the tip of the dipstick scraping against the tube which is not straight so it accumulates dirt/metal from the inside of the tube. Would be good to hear what people think. 

20230904_094509.jpg

Mine is exactly the same nothing at all to worry about. These engines run super clean, if your really bothered try & engine oil flush at your next service. Even doing regular oil changes you never fully get oil out from the sump the dipstick is dipping into the bottom of the sump hence the slight pick up of darker oil however it will generally mix & get drained out anyway at a service. As long as the dip stick is not gritty or chocolatey you can sleep well. Even with neglected long oil change intervals these engines wont give up too easily. 

Just to give you reassurance we have another car with a diesel engine & the oil turns dark within a space of 500 miles after an oil change using good quality (branded) oil. 

Screenshot_20230904_104945_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Confirming it is 100% from the dipstick rubbing against the tube. This morning i checked again and just to experiment i inserted the dipstick only halfway and pulled it back out before it could reach the oil. The dipstick had no oil on it but the tip was still covered in this grey material so its coming from the inside of tube. As you said the tube isnt straight and has a bend. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scotlex said:

At least you checked your oil level 😀

Probably most people don't bother anymore.

To be honest I got out of the habit of checking the oil on the IS because it never dropped between services - probably should check it really

1 hour ago, Mikey B said:

To be honest I got out of the habit of checking the oil on the IS because it never dropped between services - probably should check it really

Same with my RX as it never moves between services. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links