Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Matt's 1998 LS400 Build

This boot lip water ingress ……. in my 25 years owning and now on X  4. Ls400s and probably driving 250k miles in them AND always being parked outdoors ……. I’ve never ( yet touch wood ) had this problem 🤔

Malc 

• Thanks 1

New indicator lenses on both sides today, not perfect but the old ones had seen better days.

Before:

20231111_135617.thumb.jpg.32f3cff8b8b76c6b3c64aa61197b45a0.jpg

After:

20231111_151948.thumb.jpg.551871d6ab675edae0ead27c162015a4.jpg

A quick polish of the headlights to bring them back to life and they should look a bit more even.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, Malc1 said:

This boot lip water ingress ……. in my 25 years owning and now on X  4. Ls400s and probably driving 250k miles in them AND always being parked outdoors ……. I’ve never ( yet touch wood ) had this problem 🤔

Malc 

You are very lucky, I am nearly there with solving it. Just a drop of silicon and it will be sorted. I haven't had chance to do it as I have been away with work.

Looking forward to getting it down so I can give the car a good detail.

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After what felt like a battle I have solved my leaking boot.

I gave the seal a bath. Yes, a bath.

Once it was dry and cosy warm, I pinched the seal back into its OEM shape as it was a loose fit on the boot landings.

Fitted it back to the car and shut the boot lid, poured as much water on it as I could and not a single drop got into the boot.

I will let the rain do its worse now and see if we still have success.

Cheers, Matt 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another ls400 curveball...

I have a, what looks like a aftermarket key fob which has a lock unlock and boot open features.

The lock has never worked until today, randomly. The lock worked but the unlock did not so I unlocked it manually and the alarm went off....... and will not stop.

When I manually lock the car the alarm will turn off after a couple of seconds.

New Battery, new key Battery, car turns over and runs, everything works but the alarm goes off.

I do have another key without buttons on it, I don't know what good that will do.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips and tricks? 

• Sad 1

Don’t know if this might help as you have the Mk4

Alarm on the Mk3 turns right down to zero ……. the fixing is under the front centre console , just in front of that centre arm rest ….. where the gear shift is ….. be very careful not to damage the area 

Otherwise I’m clueless, sorry 

Malc 

• Like 1

I've not got the answer either, sorry. About 3 years ago, only one of the doors locked on one of my 400s, I got 3 lock motors replaced and a new Battery for the key and they've worked ever since. The lock button for my other 400 doesn't work, but if I press the unlock button when I get out, it waits a minute and if no doors are opened it locks them all for me:o) I've attached some advice on reprogramming LS400 keys that I found previously, but I'd not even think about that until you've tried everything else.

1999 Lexus LS400 Remote Programming.docx

• Like 2

Well the LS tried to test me.... It lost, cant alarm without an alarm!

20231129_135915.thumb.jpg.faef5ed4c2ba3ee80e880ccac56e0b72.jpg

I am not fussed in the slightest about not having an alarm, the car locks and no one is going to try and steal a 25 year old Lexus.

I can also confirm the speaker is in the offside wheel arch behind the indicator.

Glad the car is back to its quiet self again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Don’t know if this might help as you have the Mk4

Alarm on the Mk3 turns right down to zero ……. the fixing is under the front centre console , just in front of that centre arm rest ….. where the gear shift is ….. be very careful not to damage the area 

Otherwise I’m clueless, sorry 

Malc 

I did have a look for this and I couldn't see anything of the sort in mine. It might not be a think on a Mk4?

• Like 1

I've always hated car alarms. I used to live in a terraced house in Chelmsford and behind us was a 100 space car park. Getting a decent nights sleep was damned near impossible due to the plethora of car alarms going off whenever there was a bit of wind. I actually threatened one guy after he reset his ****ing alarm for the 3rd time at 3am. I told him if he didn't disable his car alarm, I would disable it, and the car, permanently. They are mostly a waste of space anyway as nobody reacts to them any more. You are far better off to get a system that notifies you that your car is being stolen, but does so silently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links