Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exahust replacement

mrteach1973

Looking for some advice.

The exhaust on my '08 Lexus IS 200 has dropped off, as the bracket rusted through.

I have been quoted £2700 for a genuine replacement and £1500 for an after market.

Any recommendations for a cheaper alternative would be great, as may as well scrap the car as it is only worth around £3000 anyway.

58 minutes ago, mrteach1973 said:

Looking for some advice.

The exhaust on my '08 Lexus IS 200 has dropped off, as the bracket rusted through.

I have been quoted £2700 for a genuine replacement and £1500 for an after market.

Any recommendations for a cheaper alternative would be great, as may as well scrap the car as it is only worth around £3000 anyway.

That's extortionate! 

In what place did it rust? Rear section is normally the first to go and that's ~£300 - many off the shelf solutions on eBay

5 hours ago, H3XME said:

That's extortionate! 

In what place did it rust? Rear section is normally the first to go and that's ~£300 - many off the shelf solutions on eBay. 

The whole things needs replacing. So I have the rear bit  for £300 ish but cant find the other bits I would need. Anyone know what to look for?! Central bit?! Not very knowledgeable on these things.

19 hours ago, mrteach1973 said:

The whole things needs replacing. So I have the rear bit  for £300 ish but cant find the other bits I would need. Anyone know what to look for?! Central bit?! Not very knowledgeable on these things.

I would really need to see it. It's likely they just wanted to get more money out of you and said the whole thing needs replacing. It's extremely unlikely that the whole thing would rust at the same rate. That's why I said 90% of the time it's the rear section first, specifically the pipe that goes into the backbox that rots first. My father's '09 rear right backbox just collapsed because the pipe rotted around the weld, but after taking it to an exhaust shop near me, we had a look at the whole thing on the lift and everything else looked fine (not perfect, but fine). You will get an exhaust blow and an MOT advisory before the whole thing falls off.. 

This is the middle section. Resonator pipe with the Y pipe that goes into your catalytic converters. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144955219203 so after buying that and the rear section, you should have no issues. Say even with fitting, you're looking at less than £800 all in.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:23 AM, mrteach1973 said:

Looking for some advice.

Google BESPOKE Exhaust Suppliers in your Area THERE MUST BE ONE OR TWO..They make the exhaust to fit the car.. We Have one near me who does this and is a lot cheaper They in all possibilty will be able to do a repair.. if the rest of the parts are ok.. BUT i would not be paying £2700 Or even £1500  Do Your Homework And save Some money!!!!!!

Roger ……. don’t know who you’ve asked to quote for all this BUT I’d have thought there’s a local’ish exhaust fitting business that will be able to check out what’s the issues and bespoke sort it all out …… at a sensible cost

I’ve used a local Kent exhaust fabricator  at Bower Lane Maidstone to sort out my lack of OEM available exhaust needs and at sensible cost …… they’re experts at sorting challenging problems economically too 

It’s a long way for you BUT do you want their details ? 

Malc 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links