Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1998 LS400 Parking Sensors

Hi All,

I was wondering if the 1998 LS400 came from the factory with front and rear parking sensors?

My cars has them but I don't know if they are stock or aftermarket and the front ones don't work, if anyone has any ideas?

Many thanks

Matt

Pretty certain all Mk4 sensor were retro fit.  Mine had rear sensors only, which did make it easier to park.  Though I actually found the dipping rear view mirrors pretty darned helpful (one thing i miss on my E350)

From experience with other cars and sensors water is what gets them, and I assume front ones take a bigger battering than rear fitted ones.

2 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

The 1998 Lexus Ls400 was not factory fitted with sensors thank god just a load of hassle.

Depends whose cars it's on. When I'm parking I always try to park behind someone who has reverse sensors fitted 🙂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ambermarine said:

The 1998 Lexus Ls400 was not factory fitted with sensors thank god just a load of hassle.

I have to disagree. Parking sensors, combined with a reversing camera, are a boon to those of us who are 'getting on a bit and no longer have 24 year-old spines.'

As for hassle, I've had one sensor changed in my 16 year-old 460 - and that was last week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tulpen said:

I have to disagree. Parking sensors, combined with a reversing camera, are a boon to those of us who are 'getting on a bit and no longer have 24 year-old spines.'

As for hassle, I've had one sensor changed in my 16 year-old 460 - and that was last week.

The point I was making is the 98 version did not have the reversing camera so the sensors were very inaccurate on their own ,better to use ones reversing skills with your mirrors not swiveling your neck.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, ambermarine said:

The point I was making is the 98 version did not have the reversing camera so the sensors were very inaccurate on their own ,better to use ones reversing skills with your mirrors not swiveling your neck.

Which works great until you miss that 3' high concrete bollard.
I like my reversing camera and beepers. Both have saved me from expensive "oops" over the last 6 years.

Of course, they can't fix stupid, like the idiot who walked behind my car last week when I had been in reverse gear for 4-5 secs and had carefully checked all around me before moving. Stupid dumb**** was doing his phone-zombie thing, but of course he then shouted at me accusing me of reversing into him. He didn't look so happy when I got out of the car and told him he was a 🤬ing waste of water and carbon. If it wasn't for the beepers and my reflexes he would have been a squishy mess getting blood all over my rear tyres.

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2023 at 6:46 PM, Cotswold Pete said:

Pretty certain all Mk4 sensor were retro fit.  Mine had rear sensors only, which did make it easier to park.  Though I actually found the dipping rear view mirrors pretty darned helpful (one thing i miss on my E350)

From experience with other cars and sensors water is what gets them, and I assume front ones take a bigger battering than rear fitted ones.

Pete.. Put a Thin Coating of Vaseline on your sensors What a difference this makes as it helps clear Surface Water of the sensors..Hope this helps...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links