Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Freezing screen washer jets

Baggers

My brand new ES300h Takumi still with the original Lexus screenwash in the tank suffered from freezing washer jets. So I added washer fluid (ready mixed and good for -10 degrees) to see if that resolved the problem but it didn’t. Screen de-icer spray did resolve the problem temporarily but a few miles later the jets froze up again. The outside temperature was only -1 degrees. Has anyone else had this problem and are there any solutions out there?

Sadly, I reported this to lexus when I picked up mine back in 2021. Looks like they haven't bothered to tell their dealers or whoever does the fill to not be stingy morons. Get rid of what is in the tank completely, then fill with proper winter screen wash. After that you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Hi Peniole, yes I think you are right. So I half emptied the tank and refilled with Prestone Extreme screenwash. It’s a bit more expensive than the usual supermarket tat but 90 miles in freezing temperatures and no sign of the jets freezing up so it is worth the extra cost. Recommended.

• Like 1

I actually find this thread interesting because I got a very good deal on summer screenwash and stocked up thinking it's all the same but the jets didn't work and was told by a friend to try winter screenwash. Can't comment if any better because all the shops I went to this evening had none in stock.

Incidentally, I do think that a car of this quality should have a heated washer bottle and heated jets to avoid this problem. Never in the last thirty years have I experienced this and I’ve had BMW, Saab, Volvo, Vauxhall and Honda - all with heated jets. I really like my new Lexus, it’s brilliantly equipped with every extra, so I am very surprised that they overlooked this basic piece of safety equipment.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Baggers said:

Incidentally, I do think that a car of this quality should have a heated washer bottle and heated jets to avoid this problem. Never in the last thirty years have I experienced this and I’ve had BMW, Saab, Volvo, Vauxhall and Honda - all with heated jets. I really like my new Lexus, it’s brilliantly equipped with every extra, so I am very surprised that they overlooked this basic piece of safety equipment.

+1. I have had to divert the conversation in the office when my scheissewagen owning colleagues have started discussing the heated washer jets on their misguided purchases.

• Haha 1

I’m guessing one of the problems here is the extreme thermal efficiency of the engine, which doesn’t heat up the surrounding area in the engine bay as much as an old diesel. I have noticed on journeys that the bonnet can still be frosty even after driving for an hour 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links